Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi All,

I've recently begun a database project and am new to the game. I'm hoping to get some advice so that I start on the right track.

I want to create a database, mostly for personal use, of product manufacturers for the construction industry. I envision users being able to query the database by picking from 3 drop down menus.

Use: (exterior, interior, anywhere)
    Application: (commercial, residential, industrial, assembly, anywhere)
    Product Type: (Lighting, Flooring, Wall Systems, Cabinetry etc, etc, etc...)

Once something is checked in each menu, they hit SEARCH!

I am getting familiar with MySQL Workbench and have taken a few stabs at it already. One thing I've established is the creation of the main Manufacturer table, with an auto-increment id column, name, description, phone, email, etc.

Where I'm uncertain is with multiple true statements in one category. When a user wants to upload a product, I want them to select from a series of check-boxes. Lets say John Smith uploads a sheet metal manufacturer who makes products for commercial AND industrial applications. Should I have a column for each possible option in the manufacturer table with a boolean true/false, or should every possible option (commercial, residential, etc) have its own table, and the unique manufacturer ID inserted in each relevant one?? I suppose its not a huge deal for that category, but if I have 40 options under Product Type, it gets a little more hectic.

Maybe I'm off the mark and completely barking up the wrong tree...I'd love to hear some expert opinions!

Thanks for any help!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMMIKE, post: 224700
    Hi All,

I've recently begun a database project and am new to the game. I'm hoping to get some advice so that I start on the right track.

I want to create a database, mostly for personal use, of product manufacturers for the construction industry. I envision users being able to query the database by picking from 3 drop down menus.

Use: (exterior, interior, anywhere)
    Application: (commercial, residential, industrial, assembly, anywhere)
    Product Type: (Lighting, Flooring, Wall Systems, Cabinetry etc, etc, etc...)

Once something is checked in each menu, they hit SEARCH!

I am getting familiar with MySQL Workbench and have taken a few stabs at it already. One thing I've established is the creation of the main Manufacturer table, with an auto-increment id column, name, description, phone, email, etc.

Where I'm uncertain is with multiple true statements in one category. When a user wants to upload a product, I want them to select from a series of check-boxes. Lets say John Smith uploads a sheet metal manufacturer who makes products for commercial AND industrial applications. Should I have a column for each possible option in the manufacturer table with a boolean true/false, or should every possible option (commercial, residential, etc) have its own table, and the unique manufacturer ID inserted in each relevant one?? I suppose its not a huge deal for that category, but if I have 40 options under Product Type, it gets a little more hectic.

Maybe I'm off the mark and completely barking up the wrong tree...I'd love to hear some expert opinions!

Thanks for any help!!
    EDIT:

I've done a lot of reading over the past few weeks and have moved past these issues. I'll be starting a new thread with more specific questions. This thread can be closed.

Cheers!

Remove Ads