Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello All. I am attempting to connect to my database via dreamweaver and keep getting a pop-up menu that states "an unidentified error has occurred". Below is the information that I entered. Please Help!

Connection name: mycroft_login (this is a randomly chosen name)
    MySQL server: holi2151.db.8307100.hostedresource.com
    User name: *****
    Password: *****
    Database: (unable to connect)

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Depending on your db setup, you may not be able to connect remotely.

If the db is hosted on a shared hosting environment, most hosting companies restrict connections from anywhere but their servers. And they restrict connections except for eithr using a myphp client from their servers, or from their web connectors.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you need to connect to mysql for development purposes, I'd suggest installing mysql on your local machine, pull a copy of your db from the host and import it into your setup.

Then use a localhost connection for development.

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus. I must be way off base here but I downloaded the MySQL Workbench, connected to my database through GoDaddy... I see my table so it is properly connected; However, I am still unsuccessful in connecting in DW when I specify "localhost" for the MySQL server field. Any advise? My site definition is that of a different server... I suppose this may have something to do with it? I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Localhost is YOUR MACHINE, it can only be used if you have a mysql setup on your local machine.

If you're able to connect to your db on godaddy using the workbench client, use the same settings in the db configuration within DW. I was always under the impression on godaddy servers, they did not allow remote connections from outside their network unless you have a dedicated server. ???

Member #
    Yes we do have a dedicated server. I have been using the exact same settings as I used within workbench... no luck.

I read a few other discussions regarding this issue and one stated that it works in CS3 but not in CS5 (which I'm using). Perhaps I will try CS4 on my home computer.

I guess I have been misguided on the localhost specification because when I attended online classes at the Art Institute, we specified localhost... it worked properly and I didn't have any MySQL set-up on my machine. But your advice makes sense, so I suppose that will be my next step. Thanks!

Remove Ads