Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i am wondering which is the best programming language, which is browser independent (standalone), whether it is Phyton or Java, which is the best to be used for latest technology?

i know nothing about these 2, but i want to start learning something which is best, compatible with any system, fast and with no limitations.

thank you for any input.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    No matter what programming language or framework you use, the output is what the browser has to read. Yes, java is read by the browser, the classes that are exported are read, but requires the user to download and install the java runtime files to actually function, and the last time I checked most systems that use java as their core, output HTML and their java classes.

Html, CSS, JavaScript ( and all their versions ) are all crossbrowser compliant, html5 is not completely supported by all browsers yet... But it's how a designer / developer implements them that causes browser issues.

Probably not what you wanted to hear... I might add that yes you can do development in python ( at one time google was utilizing python ), but once the compiler runs the code on the server, it outputs HTML to the client, so you still need to know the browser issues to design the output properly.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Are you talking about server-side programming or client-side?

In the case of the latter, Webzarus answered that. In the case of the former, the answer is "whatever works for you for the job you're trying to do." It could be ASP.net (my personal choice these days), ASP, PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, or some combination of the above...you're not restricted to one server-side language per site, although introducing multiple languages does provide a unique degree of complexity, especially when dealing with issues such as cookies/session variables.

The easiest ones to learn based on documentation online would be (more or less in order, although it's pretty subjective): PHP, ASP, ASP.net, Ruby, and other stuff.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i already use PHP but i need something which does not need a browser to run and can be kept local in a shared environment not on a browser? am i clear?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Then that depends on what you want to do with it and what OS you are working with.

On a windows machine, executing local vb programs or running reports, I use DOS or a combination of vbscript and dos. Network monitoring is usually done in c++ or c# , server management in vb or vb and dos.

Not sure what you're asking for as your original post inferred web stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    the system will be windows based, kept on a local network but with the possibility to be attached to a website.

i am asking this question because i am only familiar with php and mysql and i heard that java or phyton may be what i need, but i am not sure.

thank you

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's python. Like the snake. Python.

You COULD actually use PHP for this, if you can turn one of the machines in the network into an IIS server and have the other machines access it internally. I usually just come up with a fake domain name (like companyinternal.com) and create a Windows hosts entry for the fake domain all of the machines.
    onlinespider likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I do all that stuff in asp... Moving to asp.net ... Yes IIS is good, if you have access to a local dns server, you can create an internal pointer to the internal system, but if it's an enterprise network with an active directory controller, you don't need a domain name at all, you can use the machine name.

Have several clients setup this way for web enquiries. Use in internal server to get the data every 15 minutes or so ( just to keep traffic on the firewall to a min if not needed ), updates the db on the local server, send out internal emails with links to the new enquiries.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, you could use the machine name as well. I just use a fake domain because I've found it's easier for people to remember for some reason.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    So you're looking to make a compiled executable application. I always recommend C#, quite a modern language, similar to Java and easy to read and understand. But if you get Visual Studio .NET then you'll be given some choice anyway. Or look at Net Beans if you want to try some Java applications.

It's useful to know, can create Android apps for example, and it runs natively on most machines.

It all depends what you want to make though. Perhaps the solution will require OpenGL or Direct Draw, in which case you'd use C++.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads