Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Database system

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello,

A friend of mine sent me this message anyone got any ideas on what to do. This is for an online radio station by the way. I'm creating the site for him and i was thinking of a database but i don't know how to create them.

I would like something so that radio staff can login to and book slots. And it will be shown on the website but embedded into the template.
    This will need an admin panel. To monitor what’s happening.

The staff would need.
    To add a time slot and remove.

Admin would need.
    To ban / delete staff
    Add and remove slots in for staff

I'm trying to get it set up so everyone doesn’t need to remember loads of logins and passwords, (like accessing the DJ panel and CMS when i get it for the news reporters)
    Slots are like a time table (scheduled) for each week so from 1am - 2am someone name will be in a box. It will be shown on a page on the website. Saying what time each Radio presenter is on.

Can any staff member book any available slot? Yes they can book any available slot.
    How far into the future could they "book"? Weeks Notice in booking.
    What happens with empty slots that need filling (eg they are for tomorrow)? The slots will say "Auto DJ".

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yup, you would need a DB for that... The predominant DB system being used over the Internet is MySQL...

You'll need to contact whoever your hosting provider is to see what they have available..

Also, depending on your hosting environment ( windows or linux ), that will determine what scripting language will be needed ... to interact with the DB.

If its windows ( hosting ), you'll use either asp, asp.net or some windows providers now offer php support... If its a Linux server youll need php ...

Once you know what environment you're working in, and what DB support you have... You can possibly find a pre-written "time management" script ... ( doubtful, but possible )...

Doesn't sound too complex though...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah its a Linux server. And im not familiar with creating databases. just wondering if anyone could help me.
    This is a big project for me. I need to create user logins etc.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Design and development are 2 completely different things...
    Maybe someone that would be willing to help you with some php will come along...

Might I suggest going over to http://www.hotscripts.com dig around in the php section...

I bet there is something there that will work... You're more likely to get assistance resolving issues here, than just asking for someone to just do it for you.

I don't know enough about php to be helpful at this point, but knowing what I do know about asp, this should actually be a pretty simple project...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ok i'll look at hot scripts and see of their is anything.

yeah I know that, just wondering if someone created something like this in a project.

Remove Ads