Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everybody, Im new to the forum and Im a little confused and need your help. Im more of a graphic designer then a web designer and I have done a few hand coding ''html/css" sites for local businesses. I am familiar with web designing. Iíve done some easy sites with simple links like, home, about, service, products, gallery and contact pages. And copy/paste free simple PHP forms. And today, I got a client needing me to just redo his website, I said ok no prob, I just get a new template and edit it with my html editor. My client runs a talent show case business or something for talented people to be noticed. Then he sends me this this long email, Im only posting part of the email, the complex part for me:

{Members} sign up are free, they'll able to watch videos, vote in contests, and leave comments but they can't upload videos.

Show casers pay $9.95 a month to upload 3 videos per month or $14.95 a month and ASFUT will place all 3 videos on the desktops of every Talent Seekers in our database.

Talent Seekers will only be charge when they make a request for the Talent info. We need to put a gateway (pay pal) for rein-current fees.

Please help, I don't even know where to start, what scripts do I use for this, or point me to the right direction, a hint or clue. Never done something like this before, I donít want to look bad, and let him down, and plus itís great experience for me. Is this mysql or javascript or something like that, is this something that his website host has to take care off, or some script I have to add. I know Youtube has the upload function, but how do I add the upload videos, forms to fill and for him to except payment. Im sorry guys for this long post, I just need a clue, Im lost. For what I read, it sounds like 40 pages at least, and I never done no more then 8 pages. HELP!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's not a matter of pages, it's a matter of technology.

#1. You need to get a contract drawn up
    #2. You need a defined list of requirements.

If you didn't ask the questions about what this site is about and what they want to do with the site ( shame on you, lesson learned, move on )... If you were led to believe this was just a static site but it's not, shame on them, lesson learns, move on )...

Either way, if you has both of above... You would be in a much better situation.

For every web site ( yes, even 5 page sites ), you should have a contract and statement of work defined before you start...

Now... Here are some things you're gonna need...

1. A hosting account that allows uploads and hosting of videos ( not all hosting providers offer this )..
    2. You will need to know some sort of scripting language ( asp, php, etc )...
    3. Access to a MySQL DB.
    4. A merchant account of some type to handle the financial transactions
    5. Potentially a developer to put this all together for you ( assuming your skill levels are explained above).

This is not something that can be explained in a forum... Seriously, but there is just way too much involved in a project like this.

Your best bet is going to be find a developer that can put this together and you work with them on the design part... But none of it matters unless you have a hosting provider that can handle the video storage and serving part. Yes you could use YouTube to host your videos, but I think with what you have described, that won't be an option. That being said, I doubt using pay pal as your only payment option will also work for this project. Perhaps, they already have a merchant account you can tie into.... But that's something that needs to be considered during the concept phase of the project.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted or were hoping to hear, but again, this is not something that could even begin to be explained and done through a forum. Just way too much here.

Sorry

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 237403
    It's not a matter of pages, it's a matter of technology.

#1. You need to get a contract drawn up
    #2. You need a defined list of requirements.

If you didn't ask the questions about what this site is about and what they want to do with the site ( shame on you, lesson learned, move on )... If you were led to believe this was just a static site but it's not, shame on them, lesson learns, move on )...

Either way, if you has both of above... You would be in a much better situation.

For every web site ( yes, even 5 page sites ), you should have a contract and statement of work defined before you start...

Now... Here are some things you're gonna need...

1. A hosting account that allows uploads and hosting of videos ( not all hosting providers offer this )..
    2. You will need to know some sort of scripting language ( asp, php, etc )...
    3. Access to a MySQL DB.
    4. A merchant account of some type to handle the financial transactions
    5. Potentially a developer to put this all together for you ( assuming your skill levels are explained above).

This is not something that can be explained in a forum... Seriously, but there is just way too much involved in a project like this.

Your best bet is going to be find a developer that can put this together and you work with them on the design part... But none of it matters unless you have a hosting provider that can handle the video storage and serving part. Yes you could use YouTube to host your videos, but I think with what you have described, that won't be an option. That being said, I doubt using pay pal as your only payment option will also work for this project. Perhaps, they already have a merchant account you can tie into.... But that's something that needs to be considered during the concept phase of the project.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted or were hoping to hear, but again, this is not something that could even begin to be explained and done through a forum. Just way too much here.

Sorry
    Thank you Webzarus for replying.So I should just find out first if his host do uploads and hosting videos. If so, then start a contract drawn up, then tell him that I can design the pages, links, graphic art work like logos, header and etc. And fine a developer that can do the scripting " asp, php. mysql and etc".

Or I should just find him a more experience web developer that can do the whole package. Cause it sounds like allot of work, and Im not to experience in all of this. I sure would hate to get stuck somewhere, it would look bad on my part, maybe I shouldn't start something that I can't finish. Im doing it cause my friend referred him to me, and I feel that I have to come through with the work. And the thing is that he's no where near me, he lives in Augusta Georgia and Im in Maryland near Washington DC. What you think Webzarus?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RjapzDesigns, post: 237428
    So Webzarus, I should just find out first if his host do uploads and hosting videos. If so, then start a contract drawn up, then tell him that I can design the pages, links, graphic art work like logos, header and etc. And fine a developer that can do the scripting " asp, php. mysql and etc".

Or I should just find him a more experience web developer that can do the whole package. Cause it sounds like allot of work, and Im not to experience in all of this. I sure would hate to get stuck somewhere, it would look bad on my part, maybe I shouldn't start something that I can't finish. What you think Webzarus?
    It's not so much the work, but the level of experience in dealing with all the different aspects.

I guess you could possibly find a developer to do the work for you on a contract basis, the only issue with that is, since you don't understand what's required, you may end up hiring someone that really doesn't know much more than you... Or worse yet, a developer that over thinks this and puts way too much into it because you don't know any better.

Personally, I've walked away from projects that I either didn't have time or or the experience to manage. Word of mouth is the basis behind my business, if a project is way above my skill levels, I find it better to walk away or recommend someone I know might be able to handle the job ( but those are rare )... I do not recommend anyone without knowing their capabilities. I rarely recommend anyone as my recommendations also reflect on my business...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 237431
    It's not so much the work, but the level of experience in dealing with all the different aspects.

I guess you could possibly find a developer to do the work for you on a contract basis, the only issue with that is, since you don't understand what's required, you may end up hiring someone that really doesn't know much more than you... Or worse yet, a developer that over thinks this and puts way too much into it because you don't know any better.

Personally, I've walked away from projects that I either didn't have time or or the experience to manage. Word of mouth is the basis behind my business, if a project is way above my skill levels, I find it better to walk away or recommend someone I know might be able to handle the job ( but those are rare )... I do not recommend anyone without knowing their capabilities. I rarely recommend anyone as my recommendations also reflect on my business...
    Cool, im going to tell him that I do the designing part, but not the coding script part. I think Ill find a coder first before telling him. Thanks Webzarus, great help. I will be posting more later, I hope you get me again my friend, LOL

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 237431

Hey Webzarus, is this your business website, if it is, i would like to ask you a question about domain name pricing: http://www.securepaynet.net/domains/...d=webZarusMain

If I would to get a domain for my self, and for my clients. well, either way, Is it $9.99 for .com, and or $8.88+ .net a yearly payment, or is it a monthly payment. Sorry, can you brake it down just a little for me 2 know.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Domain names are on a yearly agreement.

Remove Ads