Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    I have a Joomla 1.5 website with articles in English and Russian. I have exported the SQL database via phpMyAdmin using its default values. After importing the database to a new server i found out that all Russian content has a messed up charset, and looks something like this: О «Бездушной Компьютерной» Музыке

Then i have opened the database in Notepad++ and indeed all Cyrillic characters are a mess.

What setting should i set in phpMyAdmin to export the database properly, so Latin and Cyrillic content will be displayed properly?

My Joomla is utf-8, and so is the database.

Thank you.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You said using "default values".... that's not always UTF-8.

in my limited experience in dealing with languages on mySQL DB, UTF-8 has always worked, but doesn't necessarily "STORE" the data in readable format in the DB, this could be because the server doesn't always have the necessary language sets installed.

If you export a current DB in UTF-8 Unicode, and import using UTF-8 Unicode, you should be fine.

Looking at the data in the "export" may not be the correct indicator as many "TEXT EDITORS" that you might use to open an export do not support UTF-8 or any language set that is not set as the "native" language on the machine.

IF you have imported the DB, call a page or article on the new site, check to see if the language is correct in "view source", if it's correct there, but not displaying on the page, then its a completely different issue.

Member #
    Webzarus, thank you for help.
    Here is an example of page with erroneous Cyrillic charset: http://azmand.site11.com/index.php?o...main&Itemid=29

I think i did exported and imported it using utf-8, there must be something else i have missed while exporting it via phpMyAdmin.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Have you tried a different language identifier ?

You currently have Lang=en_gb , try changing to Lang=ru , the page reloads to something else befor I can actually see your code, but give that a try.

Many people running multiple languages set that as a session variable, allowing users to choose a language and or set it with a cookie so if the re-visit the site they don't have to choose again, unless of course the cookies get deleted.

Member #
    My Joomla is and was utf-8, and it was fine before exporting database via phpMyAdmin, the Latin and Cyrillic content was OK. The issues arisen after exporting database and importing it again.

That's why i am trying to learn how to export a database properly via phpMyAdmin to preserve latin and cyryllyc content in good state.

Thank you.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    And it still might be ok, I was referring to the "view source" on any browser....

2nd or 3rd line down it says Lang=en_gb , meanin the browser is set to display any characters using the "English" character set from the browser engine.

Typically, when dealin with anything other than English, it needs to be changed. Perhaps you had a plugin for joomla ( I don't know joomla ), that allowed for detection of language character sets and adjust accordingly.

Your browser will generally identify what the "default" language is, send it to the web service in the "head request", if the plugin or script is there to change the "browser" language, it does it automatically.

You can force it to a specific language set by changing the "Lang" variable... En =English , ru = Russian, jp=Japanese ( most Asian languages need one more setting changed ), but you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Even if the data is correct in the DB, if the browser language is not set correctly, it won't display correctly.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    funny how this is the same post as:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...Admin-properly

exact same

Guess you've been having the same issue for 6 years now ?

Member #
    That is exactly my post ops: i admit, I'm in a desperate look for a solution ops:
    Why 6 year though?
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well, on my iPhone the dates of the post show today, but the dates of the post on my netbook using chrome, showed 2006.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    These kind of post are why I come here though. I run across something, do so research, find the answer and recreate the issue.

But I don't have a DB with cryillic data so I can't test, but I suspect the answer is there since it was very similar to a Japanese DB issue I had with a client several years ago.

And they person on the other post pointed you in the right direction... Funny thing is, I've seen it time and time again on forums all over. There are people like me that like a challenge of figuring issues out, and there are people that want to post a question and have someone give them point and click answers.

The answer is in the language set that you choose for export from the original DB. HINT: not default.

I can't give you screenshots like the other guy did, as all my DB's are on my own server that I have root access to so I don't use myphp admin ( which is limited ), but his screen shots ( although not identical to yours ), do tell you what you need to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads