Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: best eCommerce

  1. #1
    WDF Staff m3n0tu18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,461
    Member #
    28473
    Liked
    264 times

    best eCommerce

    Hi guys,

    Just wanted to ask what is the best eCommerce platform out there at the moment (open source) that will allow me to add specific variables before checkout (like a continue - database check for requirements then if successful a forward to checkout, if not an error saying, you are not licenced to have those items and edit the basket accordingly)

    Currently looking at Magento, but as there are so many variables of eCommerce there, I don't quite know what is the best.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers!

    P.S: Sorry I think I've put this in the wrong thread, we don't seem to have one dedicated to eCommerce do we?!
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

    Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

    <<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

  2.  

  3. #2
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Let me save you a whole lot of time...they all suck. Every last one of them sucks.

    Actually, that's not true....some of them would have to improve tenfold just to say they suck. Magento is in that list. You know PHP, so that'll help...but as soon as you try to customize anything in Magento...anything at all...you'll pretty much watch the cart explode and fail in ways you can't imagine. And the "community" (the biggest selling point of open source)? Non-existent. Ask a question, get no answer, figure it out yourself and wonder why you even bothered to ask. It's a horrible, horrible cart and I wouldn't recommend anyone use it.

    I'm not saying this because I'm a DIY type by nature...I'm saying this because the overall garbage level of the third-party carts led me to learn to do it myself many many many years ago, and it has gotten no better ever since. Save the time of looking. Save the time of trying carts, having them not work, being frustrated, and going on to the next one. DIY this. You've at least done enough PHP stuff that most of this stuff should be in your wheelhouse now.
    bleau canon and m3n0tu18 like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  4. #3
    Senior Member bleau canon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Appalachia Blue Ridge Mts.
    Posts
    586
    Member #
    27201
    Liked
    175 times
    Ah!, Magento...need pain and nerve pills.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

  5. #4
    WDF Staff m3n0tu18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,461
    Member #
    28473
    Liked
    264 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Let me save you a whole lot of time...they all suck. Every last one of them sucks.

    Actually, that's not true....some of them would have to improve tenfold just to say they suck. Magento is in that list. You know PHP, so that'll help...but as soon as you try to customize anything in Magento...anything at all...you'll pretty much watch the cart explode and fail in ways you can't imagine. And the "community" (the biggest selling point of open source)? Non-existent. Ask a question, get no answer, figure it out yourself and wonder why you even bothered to ask. It's a horrible, horrible cart and I wouldn't recommend anyone use it.

    I'm not saying this because I'm a DIY type by nature...I'm saying this because the overall garbage level of the third-party carts led me to learn to do it myself many many many years ago, and it has gotten no better ever since. Save the time of looking. Save the time of trying carts, having them not work, being frustrated, and going on to the next one. DIY this. You've at least done enough PHP stuff that most of this stuff should be in your wheelhouse now.
    I really wish I could, however my full knowledge of PHP isn't great as Im still a kinda noob at it unfortunately. At the moment I think I need to hack my way around an ecommerce platform to achieve what I want...

    Unless you can recommend where I start to create a diy setup?
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

    Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

    <<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

  6. #5
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, think about it...what's an e-commerce site in its most basic form?

    1. It's products in a database. Do you know enough PHP to retrieve products from a database? Probably.
    2. It's adding a product to a cart. Do you know enough PHP to create a cart row in a database, retrieve that cart row ID, create a session variable, and add a product row to that cart row? Probably.
    3. Do you know enough PHP to display the products in a cart? If you know 1, you know this.
    4. Do you know enough PHP to get customer information? If you know 2, you know most of this (the only difference is that you'd have a form with required fields).
    5. Do you know enough PHP to connect to a payment processor API, or failing that do you know enough to create a custom PayPal button to at least a cart working in the short run? Probably.

    The "you" I'm referring to in this case is you specifically. I know you know some PHP, so you can probably handle this if you just break the cart down into its steps. And like bleau said, it'll be much less painful to learn how to do this than it will to get a cart that can do what you want for you.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  7. #6
    WDF Staff m3n0tu18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,461
    Member #
    28473
    Liked
    264 times
    Thanks man Yea my knowledge of php JQuery is, okayish, not anywhere near on your knowledge scale though :P But I do know how to google haha! Another question, connecting it to a Point of Sales system is a good idea? So if the stock in shop is down, it will automatically go down in the virtual online environment. Or would you say thats a bad way to go, and have 2 separate DB's etc?

    M

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Well, think about it...what's an e-commerce site in its most basic form?

    1. It's products in a database. Do you know enough PHP to retrieve products from a database? Probably.
    2. It's adding a product to a cart. Do you know enough PHP to create a cart row in a database, retrieve that cart row ID, create a session variable, and add a product row to that cart row? Probably.
    3. Do you know enough PHP to display the products in a cart? If you know 1, you know this.
    4. Do you know enough PHP to get customer information? If you know 2, you know most of this (the only difference is that you'd have a form with required fields).
    5. Do you know enough PHP to connect to a payment processor API, or failing that do you know enough to create a custom PayPal button to at least a cart working in the short run? Probably.

    The "you" I'm referring to in this case is you specifically. I know you know some PHP, so you can probably handle this if you just break the cart down into its steps. And like bleau said, it'll be much less painful to learn how to do this than it will to get a cart that can do what you want for you.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

    Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

    <<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

  8. #7
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you can do it, it's absolutely the way to go. Keep your inventory current at all times.

    However, that's much easier said than done. It depends on how the storefront inventory system is set up.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  9. #8
    WDF Staff m3n0tu18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,461
    Member #
    28473
    Liked
    264 times
    Thanks buddy I shall keep you posted on how the progress goes. Possibly a month I think ha!!

    I still have a lot to learn :P

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    If you can do it, it's absolutely the way to go. Keep your inventory current at all times.

    However, that's much easier said than done. It depends on how the storefront inventory system is set up.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

    Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

    <<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

  10. #9
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,485
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...and you'll learn quickly or grow extinct. Either way, you'll end up with a mohair sweater permanently attached to your chest.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1
    Member #
    37771
    No doubt Magento is best Ecommerce system....


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com