Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question What are the best methods for storing information from forms?

I am interested in creating from scratch a registration and survey form that uses PHP and MySQL.

I went to several service sites to get an idea of the types of form I would like to create and I noticed that they had a built-in database and an application for viewing a report of the information that was collected from the form.

In order to create a database that stores the information from a form, how would this be done? Is it possible to use an application or 3rd party software that does this for us? Or could we link the form to Microsoft Excel?

I'm basically looking for an efficient way to do this after I've created the form. There are many tutorials that show how to send information to your email address but that's all that I've found.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Mysql is a database engine so you will be using a database if you use mysql. I however am not sure how to have it displayed in a way that Excel would do it. That is a question for someone with more experience in doing these things than i have. It may be simple or complicated im really not sure.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    I suggest you use a 3rd party service provider called Aweber.

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    Here's what I would do ...

Find a great contact form that has real-time validation, nice user interface, maybe it uses JQuery or AJAX, it looks good and works good on all browser screen sizes, etc.

Get that contact form to work perfectly using email, because like you said, they all send the information to email.

Now, the part of the script that sends the email will then be swapped-out for scripting that saves it to a database instead of emailing it.

You'll be at a point here where you'll need to learn PHP/MySQLi, or hire someone to do it for you. It's fairly easy to get the form data inserted into a database, but you'll need a way to get it back out ... thus requiring more scripting. You'll get a lot of various options in the "reporting" part. PHP can output the database on a web page, it can present the data as a CSV (comma separated variable) file that can be opened using Excel, it can output the results as a PDF file. If you require the database to be edited by an admin person, scripting will need to be done for that as well.

The best part about using your scripting and database is, the results in the database can be filtered by various selections, sorts, date ranges, etc. You could even use Google Charts to output data graphically.
    Last edited by mlseim; Nov 28th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    It sounds to me like you want to collect information and monitor the results?
    you know php and mysql is the method the program will be written in but you not entirely sure how. Unless your familiar with sql and can generate queries your unlikly to pull any reports you require.
    If your unfamiliar I recommend using 3rd party software which automatically run the reports you require on a real time basis. Without knowing what information your collecting, and what reports you need for your information its difficult to suggest what service you should use.
    Last edited by Studio87; Jun 11th, 2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: additional information added

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Something like https://www.surveymonkey.com/ should do the trick if ive understood correctly, what your trying to do.

Remove Ads