Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Creating an online booking website?

Member #

Creating an online booking website?

Hi,

First time to this site, I hope I have posted this in the correct place.

I want to create an accommodation booking system for consumers to book accommodation.

It should have the facility for business owners to log in and update their pricing and availability and the function of consumers to search dates and book accommodation. I'd be looking at having 100 or so businesses on the site.

What sort of cost would a web developer charge for this?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2795 times
    "Start at around $5,000 US and go up as far as your budget will allow."

Here's why I say that:

1) There aren't a lot of developers or even teams that have the skills required to take on a task like this just to get it off the ground. It seems simple on the surface...update pricing, update availability, search dates, book accommodation. Here's where it's complex...you have payment processing, allowing for photographs, resizing photographs to fit the site on the fly, possible spelling errors depending on the search function and whether users can type things in, and most importantly rounds upon rounds of fine tuning, getting user feedback, attempting to improve it, failing a few times, finally getting it right, and then having to repeat when someone copies you or you think of a better way to do things. The latter is likely necessary because you'd be competing with other accommodation booking sites such as Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, etc.

Let me put it to you this way...as far as developers are concerned, there are over 40,000 members on WDF right now. I can think of three people who at least may possess the required skills to take care of the development aspects. In no particular order:

1) me
    2) mlseim
    3) Ronald Roe

I have some experience building booking engines, although not anything specific to accommodation...mine lies in conference/event management booking, and it's been three years since I've even touched anything like that. mlseim and Ronald Roe...you'd have to ask.

2) You'll have the design aspects to consider, depending on who is doing it. Some of this overlaps with the development aspects...for example, building a site that both desktop and mobile users can use. The way certain form fields are presented and the level of interaction may be affected by this.

That's also why you probably haven't seen, nor will you see, a lot of answers to your particular question. If you do, they'll generally be along the lines of "we can take this on for you, we're a web development team in India, please contact us via PM or visit our website at www.violationofwdfrules.com for more details." It's too much for most people to want to take on.
    sasha_bolcina likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    For something like a booking service, you'll also be looking at a lot of ongoing fees.

Whoever does the work would still probably have some bugs in the code. So you'll need a developer working with you. And as your clients discover the bugs, you'll need someone to receive the reports. Then there's R&D. Whatever you end up with will not be a complete solution. Maybe it's geared towards hotel bookings, but then you need to modify it to accomodate equipment rental bookings. And like GAME said, credit card payment processing, pictures, admin interface, etc.

I think it would be costly to get a good product off the ground.

I'm just sharing some thoughts because I did research for a client once and found that there are plenty SaaS out there for bookings, but plenty of them are limited in some way and the one I worked with, Booking Ant, had a glaring bug I found when using it, despite it being in business for 2-3 years.

Member #
    Probably it will be a content management system. Charges is vary and is based upon the skill set of the developer and the team. Script base tool is most advisable for rental booking system because of lesser time taken.

Member #
    For creating the websites we require some software,graphics and frameworks.
    1.UI
    Design the full project in photoshop, fireworks or any graphics software and have the full picture of the project.
    2.Create the Admin side which controls the software.You can use PHP & MySQL but there are many solutions out there.
    3.FRONT-END Create the HTML, CSS & Javascript of the page.This process converts the UI to Website.
    4.Storage : Some data is stored locally for fast accessing and that will be Sync every time.
    5.Location : We use the location data to show you Movie, Play, Event, Sports around Customer.
    6.Payment : Will recommend gateway for marketplaces.

Booking Ticket : After Payment, Application will a booking ticket to customer which will have a Encrypt QR code, Basic details of Movie, Address of theater, Timing, Theater Number, etc

Remove Ads