Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

Not sure which way to go

So I have a new client that needs some database work done. This is what he wants...

They are a small business that are on the go a lot. What they use now is excel and access I believe. What he wants though is to be able to access their inventory anytime anywhere and be able to make changes to the tables. What I was thinking was to use phpmyadmin as the database and retrieve and modify the data with a vb application. How would you guys go about doing this?
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You can connect straight to a remote mysql: MySQL :: MySQL Connector/ODBC Developer Guide :: 6.4.3 Using Microsoft Access as a Front-end to MySQL

One side item, though, which isn't mention in the article, is that mysql has to be configured to accept outside connections.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    He did mention that he wants to stop using access so that's why I came up with the vb app idea. So in theory I can use mysql with a vb.net app to see and minipulate the data? They do have an in-house dedicated server so I can set up mysql on it. I hope I'm not going in over my head lol. I'm going to get more details on the project later next week.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I suppose this is a Windows server
    You have to download ADO.NET driver for MySQL.
    Drivers are here.
    Also, there are instructions and documentation for installation. You may need MySql installer for Windows, for Visual Studio integration too.

Remove Ads