Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Pulling Data Based on Select Criteria and Paring it Down as Results in a Format

Member #

Pulling Data Based on Select Criteria and Paring it Down as Results in a Format

I probably posted this in the wrong forum so hopefully I am in the right place. I am just learning website design. I am interested in creating a best places to live quiz which allows users to choose from criteria such as weather, geographic location, crime statistics, cost of living...etc. I plan to pull data, in real time, from other websites with permissions. While I am working on the basics of the site, I will likely need help with something complex like this. My questions are:

What type of program/widgets would allow me to pull this information from other websites in real time to my website: and

What type of program will allow for the data to be pared down to match the criteria selected by the user so that a ranked list of cities will populate in a table with a score?

I know this is a lot so any guidance on what I need to be looking at would really help. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) Depends on the other sites, what data they allow you to pull, and how they allow you to pull it. Some allow you to do it using APIs (Application Programming Interfaces), some widgets, some XML, some XLS or some other format, and some just say "scrape our site and grab what you want." Each site is individual, and having built things that do some of what you're talking about, you need a server-side language (ASP.NET, PHP) and ideally no widgets.

2) A database will allow for the filtering of data. How you score it depends on how you design the query in the database, and whether or not you score it using the database itself or the server-side programming language to do it.

This sounds like a pretty advanced real estate application. If you're just learning web design and you haven't touched web development (not "front end web development", either...real web development), you're going to struggle hardcore with it. It takes years to master a lot of the things you've asked for, even though they seem simple enough.
    MBNative66 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Wow... Thank you. That's really helpful. The site allows you to use what you want and also offers API for an annual fee. I saw JSON as a program on their site related to the API but this is all above me and I will need help with it, as you said. I wasn't sure where to start or how hard it would be to learn.

Remove Ads