Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Should I bother to learn MySQL and other Database or CMS??

Member #

Should I bother to learn MySQL and other Database or CMS??

Hi Guys,

I am a graphic designer. Illustrator and Photoshop are where I feel most comfortable, what you see is what you get basically. I am trying to further my skills so that I don't need to outsource or refer any work that i get from clients about building websites etc.
    I have been learning HTML and CSS coding for the last 6 months. I can create basic sites for your standard business just wanting to display information online, but I am now getting to the point where I don't know if I should keep learning or not, I don't have a great amount of time and I feel like it might be easier to just outsource. I have client at the moment I do design work for asking me about creating a portal website for rental apartments in Europe. https://kamernet.nl/ is the example he used.
    It is like other similar sites where you sign up and login as either a renter or landlord, then you can setup a profile and/or create a listing, when applying for a listing you are prompted for payment.
    This is far beyond my current knowledge, could anyone tell me what is needed for a site like this, PHP, MySQL, other CMS..... and how long it would take me to learn how make something like this?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    A CMS is just a Content Management System. It is not a "website builder" like some seem to assume it is. To build a website like you mentioned would require more than what a CMS does. Now with that said there are plugins within CMS's like Wordpress that allow you to do certain things beyond managing content but usually not very well.

To create a website like you mentioned you will want to learn PHP and MySQLi. How long it will take for you to learn depends on you. How well you catch onto things and how long you commit daily to learning can all change how long it takes you to learn it. Take it from me, a fellow designer who happens to know how to do some coding. If you are passionate about it and like doing it then learn it. If you are doing it just to add a skill to your arsenal and don't really enjoy it just outsource it. You have to love this to stay relevant and up to date. On top of staying current with the graphic design industry you can run yourself dry pretty quickly. You can be a web "designer" without having to code anything. You can create the mockups and allow a programmer to do all the coding. I personally love to code. Almost more than i love design! So it was a good fit for me.

Long story short, if you like to code and like learning about it then continue to do so. If it doesn't interest you then don't waste your time, because you really have to have a passion to learn/stay on top of everything. While you spend all your time coding and designing for work, you will essentially be spending 50% of your free time on design and 50% of it on code just to stay up to date and relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    brandMatt likes this.

Remove Ads