Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Database or ECommerce platform? How to start?

Hello all,

I am looking to build an ECommerce website which allows users to search and sort products by using easy product filters such as: type, color etc.
    Any suggestions?
    Do I need to look into ECommerce platforms? Database builders? Wordpress widgets?
    I have no idea where to start.

Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednine View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking to build an ECommerce website which allows users to search and sort products by using easy product filters such as: type, color etc.
    Any suggestions?
    Do I need to look into ECommerce platforms? Database builders? Wordpress widgets?
    I have no idea where to start.

Thanks for your help!
    If you have no idea where to start, I wouldn't start with eCommerce. Unless you are doing this for educational purposes and already have some programming experience. eCommerce is a difficult area to get right. There are issues like security that you will need to be extremely careful about.

If you are trying to build this site for a business you are starting I'd advise to hire a professional and you focus on other business concerns.

If you wish to continue to build this, id break it up in small sections. The first thing I'd do is make a list of ALL the things you need to do/have to work correctly. Then start knocking things off the list. It will take the stress off of having "so much work that needs to be done" and will also help us answer your questions.

For example, it will be unrealistic to sit here and give you a step by step of what you need to do. We can answer questions like "how do I add a product to the cart?"

Again if you have no programming experience this is going to be extremely difficult. If you don't understand HTML, Css, Javascript, Php(or an alternative server side language) and how to use MySQLi, you really need to start there. In that order with the server side language and database learnt together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    I found my answer in:

PrestaShop/Magento + plugins
    or
    Woocommerce + plugins

Thank you for your reply!

Remove Ads