Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Database building help

Hi, I would like to have some help for a website i need to build.
    I've used wix and some other wysiwyg but I miss some important features: dropdown menu, search filter, database and some other features.
    I would like to know how should i move, if there's any web building program that can manage my needs or i should learn web language and if so which one. This is the first time I'm doing such a thing so please be patient, thank you for your help.

More or less this is what should be

-Database-
    More than 3000 items (is it possible to use Excel as data source? or there is a way to easily manage a huge amount of data to be changed often?)

-Main Menu-
    On top, fixed, 5 menu (pc) (the menu bar is always on top even when scrolling down the page)
    Fixed Drop down icon Menu (mobile)
    Menu1/2,About,Contact,Login
    a) Infinite scrolling, except for Menu1 and Menu2, they need to be clicked to be chosen
    b) Infinite scrolling, Menu1 and 2 are in the same page but they are 2 main drop down menu with branch or windows (in this way there should be no need to open a new window like in a)
    c) Infinite scrolling, Search filters are not separated in two Menu (easiest way but maybe problematic for mobile use, check down)

-Data Search Filter- (Menu1/2)
    Drop down or other system suitable for mobile use
    9~10 categories (color, weight, etc..)
    6 in one page (Menu1), 3~4 in another page (Menu2)
    Result page will appear between "Menu1/2" and "About"

-Search Filter Result-
    Fixed top bar for each categories plus result number for each one (problematic in case of Menu type c)
    Auto Zoom for images - cursor over image
    Multi choose click - items saved in user history/preferences
    Infinite scrolling

-Contact-
    Google Map (available in wix)
    Contact form (or is it better a mail link?)

-Login-
    Simple login (no user verification it's ok? I need it not for security/spam reason but just for..)
    Identify user
    Save search results

=Others
    Building map and shop disposition (floor, building) (in About or in one of the search filter in Menu2)
    cursor over shop - shop contact and short info (fabric type)

Time line (new item) (Main page and in search filter Menu2)

number of visitors

users statistics (history, search, visited shop, etc) (for admin)

Multi language (at least two)

Thank for your interest
    Last edited by Brazz; Nov 01st, 2015 at 06:15 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Hire a pro or learn a few languages. Your order is so specific your options are limited. Why would you mention Wix feature availability in your post?

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Ya I was thinking to hire someone in case it's too hard to do by myself,
    I mentioned wix because it was the last program i used to try on my own, i tried even some script and languages, html, css and java for the drop down but as i mentioned above i'm a total rookie, now i "know" how to do a drop down but i don't know how to make a working database .
    I'm learning day by day but there are a lot of languages and i don't know if i'm using the right tools for the things i need so i came here to get some directions from so pro.
    jquery, mysql, php, ajax, ruby, rails, phyton, cake..

Ps as you said i'm trying to be specific so that i can have a specific answer and limited option so that i can focus on them.
    Last edited by Brazz; Nov 01st, 2015 at 11:28 PM.

Member #
    Well.. still giving a look here and there, mysql seem pretty used for those things but some other says php it's better
    by the way any pro interested? contact me

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I would recommend learning MySQL, php, css, html, and js. Do yourself a favour and pick up aCMS too. I recommended Wordpress.

Wix is not a skill that any web developer is likely to have in their tool box. It allows for shortcuts that are not very conducive to a good result.

My advice would most likely be similar to many other forum members, learn as much as you can, or hire a pro.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Thank you brand, look like it will take more time than i hoped, from zero to 6 languages seems quite an unreasonable quantity for a job to be made as soon as possible. The only reason i was using wix and similar was actually to get some shortcuts even if i know that is not professional, but for an unexperienced programmer with not much time at disposition as you can imagine is the most appealing option, apart naturally to hire a pro.

So.. at the end, if there is no one else to bring me a ray of sunshine, i would be interested to hire a pro, the website should it be as i mentioned above, more or less, some stuff can be removed in case if it's too complicated, contact me with your fee.

Meanwhile.. looking for a holy program that can help me :angel:

with the hope that the final result would be still acceptable

Member #
    Hiring pro, contact me with your price

Remove Ads