Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By THRobinson

Thread: Simple Database - Looking for Direction

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Simple Database - Looking for Direction

I work at a small store that wants to update their website.

I went to school for design, but was a few years back and only covered basic HTML, I've since taken a few extra courses in HTML/CSS but haven't used it in a few years, so I'm pretty slow and rusty at this.

Store (appliances) will have some products online. Not ecommerce for buying online or anything, but just to show appliance we sell.

I'd like it to show in a grid or in rows, nothing fancy at all, but would like to avoid editing the HTML every time we add/remove/change a product. I'd like to be able to add an image, model #, colour, height, width, depth, msrp and sale price. Maybe a small description. That's it really... maybe a basic sort function for price, filter for size.

Again, very basic...

Just looking to be pointed in a direction for what I need for that. I assume there's a name for doing that, or a name of a program/database to use for it? Having never done anything like this, I'm not sure what to be looking for. When I Google, I keep getting database stuff like forms and saving customer info etc. which isn't what I need.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? or is this something relatively simple to do?

Ideally, I'd make the site, have a chunk in the middle that depending on what's clicked, populates with the information from some sorta spreadsheet and image folder.

Thanks
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    WordPress dynamic website is good for your need. For such a simple job, just use it for your regular editing. Just make sure to have same image size should be there that you add or remove.
    Try to search one from many readymade sample templates.

Member #
    Liked
    963 times
    Quote Originally Posted by satindertech View Post
    WordPress dynamic website is good for your need. For such a simple job, just use it for your regular editing. Just make sure to have same image size should be there that you add or remove.
    Try to search one from many readymade sample templates.
    Using Wordpress for this is like using a sledgehammer to hang a painting. It'll do the job, but not without causing you to put a hole in the wall.

This could be done with WP, but not without some heavily custom theme editing.

What you want can be done with some very rudimentary PHP, and you would be able to keep your existing code base. What you need is a database. You'll use PHP to pull the appliances from the database, then loop through the results, outputting them to HTML. It's quite a bit easier than it sounds, and your web host almost certainly is already set up for it. That's what I would do in your situation.

You'll spend more time learning how to set up WP and then learning the same PHP in order to shoehorn it into a theme and force it to work.

You need to look into:

Connecting to a database with PHP
    Querying a database with PHP
    PHP basics, particularly for loops
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've seen WP, but never used it... not that I'm against learning new things but, I'd rather not have to learn more than I need to in this case. It's for work so time is limited on what I can spend on this project type deal.

Thanks for the information... I'll start checking into that stuff.

Any recommended software/apps for this? Something with a lot of YouTube videos maybe?

Gotta love YouTube for this stuff... haven't taken my car to a mechanic in 10yrs thanks to YouTube.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I see some stuff online about importing data from a spreadsheet... is that a good way to go?

If I can simply update an excel sheet with changes that be ideal. Have a matching photo named the same as the model number type deal saved in an images folder.

Any sorta 'plugin' I can use for that?

I plane to make the site, container about 900px wide, and inside have a space/container 100% width, auto height, and have that space for displaying results.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I agree with Ronald that using Wordpress for something like this is serious overkill. Download something like MAMP so you can run a server, use PHPmyadmin to set up your database. The benefit of using PHPmyadmin for a beginner is that you don't have to learn SQL to work with the database as it will show you the SQL statements as you do things as well as being able to set up the whole database without having to write SQL, meaning you can do things like select from the database using the UI and then copy and paste the SQL into your PHP database calls.

Using just straight forward PHP is the way to go for something this simple. You could also use Bootstrap for the front end which will help you create a mobile responsive grid based layout faster, as well as other things.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks... I'll look into that.

For such a small simple database/website... really just need something basic. Just hoping to avoid editing HTML everytime a product gets changed or something. and a basic search be nice... like filter and sort.

Remove Ads