Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Don't know how to implement this project

I want to make a project that will access a database. As the db will be accessed by many computers, not all in the same physical building, the db must be on a server. In my profession, we use some servers for mail, hosting, etc. Those servers, running Linux (RedHat x64) offer db hosting that can be accessed only by php and edited by phpmyadmin, no other way "for security reasons" as it is written in one help page. There are two solutions:

1) make a php project that will access the db and do all the work (authentication, show data, forms for input, etc).

2) make a desktop app which will communicate with a web service that will read/write from/to the db.

In both cases, security is needed. The server supports TLS but pages are shown via http, no https support. So my php files will have no security (or at least I think so). On the other hand, the web service needs to run 24/7. I don't think I have the right to do it. I don't know how to do it. I have tried to contact with the server stuff with no success. I prefer the second one as it is easier to make the client and the web service (don't know how to connect with TLS but I know how to use AES).
    Also, in some cases, Joomla is used in web page construction.

So, if you were me, what would you do?

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    It's fairly easy to expose a database on a server for secure remote use. And you can set up permissions and roles so that remote users can only do certain things.

However, a minimal web service that has an API, and you make a desktop app to communicate with it, is totally viable. It seems like this is where you're most comfortable and have expertise and confident in what you're doing so I'd go with it.

It's very professional of you to recognise areas of security you aren't comfortable in

Remove Ads