Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    :Hey People,:
    Im currently the webmaster or a site and i want to add a Forum to it. The host (www.bold.net.au) says that there are able to host MySql databases.. Can people help me out tell what i have to do... I'm new to all this.

:This is a email i have sent them:
    I am the webmaster for a site which is on your
    server. And as it states on this page bold.net.au/website_hosting.php
    you can have MySQL Databases with your hosting service.

I want to have a Forum on my site and have the site more interactive.
    So I want to know how i can get access to a MySql Database.

:This is what i got back:
    We are a web hosting company. You really need to get the site going on a development system before you think about having it hosted with an ISP

You can download the mysql server here:
    http://www.mysql.com/downloads/index.html
    End of email

I am very new to this and the reply i got made no sense, to my knowlege they make a database for you.

Thank you for your time and any help
    Griff

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    They don't actually make the database - that's for you to do. They supply the MySQL server that is needed.

What they are basically saying is that you should download MySQL server onto your home PC to develop and build your site before you upload it to the ISP's server.

I would suggest a bit of Googling to find out more about MySQL and building dynamic pages - it's a bit of a leap from HTML/CSS pages but well worth the effort.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by Griff
    [BWe are a web hosting company. You really need to get the site going on a development system before you think about having it hosted with an ISP[/B]
    Ok, this reply from your host bothers me... mainly the part about the ISP. ISP = Internet Service Provider = the people who you connect through. Web Host = people who host your website(s) and/or database(s) and/or media server(s) on remote servers... nothing at all to do with an ISP. One would think a capable web host would know this.

Also, the fact that they're telling you to download and install the mysql database server software makes me think they don't have it installed on their servers.

I think you should look for a new web host... one that makes it a little easier for you. Hosting Matters (www.hostingmatters.com) has a CPanel that allows you to install and configure your databases AND phpbb forums through a web interface... allowing you to do it in minutes. I used to be hosted with them, and they're decent, although apparently plagued by DoS attacks for the last couple weeks.

Member #
    Thanks for you help mossoi and transio.

Your posts have helped me release that it is a good idea to change host..

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The site in question on HM that was the target of DDoS attacks has been moved to a completely separate network. Apparently the feds are looking into it, even.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Yeah, IMHO it's easier to practice on a mySQL server that's already set up than making your own... hosting matters hosts this site, so you know we like it
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads