Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was just browsing my site stats and I noticed that my overall storage on my website has decreased A LOT! I hadn't uploaded too many pictures lately so I went exploring. Then I found a file under this directory: usr/local/mysql/var/domainname.log. The size of the file is over 100,000K!!!

So I viewed some of it and it had stored each individual query that had ever been made to MySql database.

My questions are; is it possible to delete some/all of this log? why is it there? what does it do? Can I cap the amount of data(in KB) stored in this log?

Thanks,
    eric
    Blogs For Sale - Each blog is packed with 1000s of signatures and ads are highly integrated into the site. Great CTR! Completely customizable from Admin CP. On Sale!
    Complete Websites For Sale - Fantastic looking sites rich with content. Come complete with domain names. I only have a couple of these.

Member #
    Hi Eric.

I've never encountered something similar, so I'm gonna speculate.
    aranoid:

It appears to be some log-configuration (obviously), which means you can delete everything without giving it much further thought.
    The main issue though, is why it's logging everything, and how you can turn it off!

Until you get a qualified answer (from someone here), I would check if there's any way to turn off logging via ControlPanel (that's what most servers use) if that option exists. As you don't have access to the mysql.ini file on your remote server, I would contact your host and ask them to stop log recording.

As far as I can remember, there's nothing you do (or shouldn't do) in your script, that causes these types of problems. The only thing you could do scriptwise to hamper performance (as far as I know), is to leave a lot of connections hanging open (use of mysql_connect instead of mysql_pconnect, or not closing old mysql_connect(ions).). This is, however, not the issue here.

If you figur it out outside the forum, please let us know what caused the log-bloat.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I'd probably talk to your host, as they're probably the one who set that.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks guys, I will write my host and then let you know what happens.

Eric
    Blogs For Sale - Each blog is packed with 1000s of signatures and ads are highly integrated into the site. Great CTR! Completely customizable from Admin CP. On Sale!
    Complete Websites For Sale - Fantastic looking sites rich with content. Come complete with domain names. I only have a couple of these.

Remove Ads