Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi there. I'm trying to figure out where the SQL Server database is located for a client of mine on his host's servers. I know the Username and the Password, and I also have a DSN for it. What I don't know is the server that it's on. Is there any way using ASP to gather the properties of a DSN and find out what server and database it refers to? Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    ..you'd have to know the database its on at least to know which one to connect to right?... wouldnt it just be localhost if its on his web hosts server?
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it. I don't know the database the DSN points to (well I have a good idea based on this host's DB naming conventions) or the server it's on. It's not localhost since it's on a web server, I know that much. So this is why I want to figure out how to extract the properties of a DSN. There may be information that will help me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    why isnt it localhost if its on a web server? Localhost means "same machine" its hosted on, normally a web host account will have the database admin in the same space so localhost is 99% of the time accurate with web hosts..
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Because it's not my web server. I'm accessing the information remotely (in fact, across an ocean).

Member #
    OKay so your saying you have a site (hosted on this continent) that needs to connect to a database (hosted on another site) from across the ocean???
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No. I'm saying I have a site on another continent that needs connect to its database (which, as the host has it arranged, is on a separate server running SQL Server 2000) across the ocean.

Member #
    i'd contact the web host, how would asp have any idea how to retrieve information from a completely different server is beyond me.. (without knowing the server name)
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    give me an example line of the info you have - I might be able to retrieve it - just though of something
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    DSN=(DSN);
    UID=(UID);
    PWD=(PWD);

(Those aren't the actual values but I want to keep the client's data protected.)

I know that information is stored within the DSN. My question is how to get at it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads