Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have two seniority lists I've been asked to merge.
    The two lists (thousands of names) contain different columns.
    What they have in common is (columnwise):
    seniorityNumber | name | birthdate | employmentdate

List A represents the company which has bought company B. The order of seniority in list A should remain unchanged. The employees of list B, are to be merged in to List A based on employment date. All personel on list B will have a 5 year 'penalty' added to their employment date before merging it with list A. People on list B with similar employment dates will be individually arranged based on birthdate (oldest first).

How would I accomplish this? I can't just add list B personell to list A and then do a sort based on employment date, as that would affect the individual order of people on list A.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Appears there are no query syntax that can handle this task.

Working on a script solution instead.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    No, this is way too much, you need to design a program to do this (PHP should be able to handle it)
    It will be tricky to code, maybe even more tricky then the long manual process . . .
    Whoth steps forth to mock the teal? Whom couldst say a color superior!

Proclamith me, it cannot be done.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Try this: add a column to both tables for length of time worked there. It can easily be set up to auto compare date started to current date, and then it can auto populate it. Then for Company B, it will subtract 5 years from it.

OR, you can have 2 date columns, 1 for former, 1 for current. In company A, they'd be the same, in company B, they'd be staggered by 5 years.

Your main problem comes in when new employees join in either case, or when it's time to increase the length of time they have worked there.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I went for the script solution, and finally got it up and running!
    (Turned out to be quite tricky. It's a bit bloated (verbose), so I'm working on trimming it down)

Added an interface were you can alter the 'penalty years' with regard to initial employment dates (for company 'B' employees) to visualize consequences of different options.

Another complicating factor was found when I started working on it. Company A's list has had two previous mergers of external employees. These have been given penalties (years added to their employment dates) and have been given a combination list seniority number based on that penalty. However, in the list itself, they are listed with their original employment date from their first company. Meaning that even though their list-position is correct, their employment date column is mismatched with regard to the nearby employmentdates. (got that fixed though)

The lists consists of thousands and thousands of names. After I got the script working, I got some weird results here and there. It turned out (could enter the merged lists at the point of error) that a few hundred of the employees had erronous data in their date sections.

Example: birthdate-971097 or the combination birthdate-560528 and employdate-230527

Getting updated lists resent from the main office (as I've pointed out where the errors are)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. This really should have been handled as an LDAP or Meta-Directory solution, whereby both lists are merged into a central directory which contains all common fields. There are pre-built solutions already in place that would allow you to configure how data gets updated (i.e. in which direction and what formula to use).

Anyhow... I guess it's too late

Remove Ads