Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm finally changing hosts (having solved the refund question by asking my cc company to handle it). I tried the forum that was recommended here, and even though I didn't mention their name, someone else brought it up, seems like they're so bad they're getting famous.

Now that I'm shopping *aaarrrgggh, 49 things at the same time...* I was noticing that some recommended companies don't have MySQL, which I need because my shopping cart is this great DreamweaverMX extension that uses it. Okay this is the question: keeping in mind I was excited to find a tutorial basic enough to tell me how to pick the right field names and options, using MySQL Front, in other words, no kidding I'm new. I know the software's free, are there any important reasons to either install your own MySQL, or to just get a host that supplies it?

Sounds like it might be nice to have your own, but if it isn't totally easy to install, I really can't have my site snagged up longer (or I'll just crack! ) For now I don't have a preference, just trying to think ahead and get things right.

Thanks, Leila

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You really should get MySQL in a new host. Any reputable host that has PHP should have it as well.

When getting a new host make sure that they're running at a bare minimum 4.2.0 of PHP. Anything lower than that means that they don't care about keeping up to date with the latest version.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks, Filburt. There's always that weird instinct to think it's better to have your own, or do it yourself, but anyone who went through what I did just to learn to use MySQL Front should probably be very careful anyway lol.

Did I post a link to my site before - well here: www.sodasi.com which is my way of saying it's really big, plus graphics heavy, even with my Photoshop optimization (I've noticed people who've seen it are more interested in the stuff I'm selling than the site, so I figure I have the right stratagy there ;-). I don't know how much space the shopping cart will take up, it's possible I still need less than 200m, but would like a little room - that's the only thing I need much of, everything else minimum is fine. Every time I check a recommended host though, the space alone drives the price out of my range.

Now I'm in the wrong forum, and probably should repost back in hosting. I've noticed some don't list the versions of what they have too, so you have to check.

Member #
    Nice site,Leila. Some good looking stuff. Are the paintings originals or prints?

BTW, I couldn't replicate it, but one of your pages has the buttons to the other pages disabled ... or at least not enabled.
    DerFarm
    I talk to squirrels.
    Squirrels Answer.

Member #
    Thanks : ) The paintings are originals, I wrote a big thing about that at the top, but know most people will never read it lol. They're originals that are reproduced by the original artist, a Jinshan province tradition. The ones in the Native section are prints, some pretty famous artists there; Jimmy Carter has one of those paintings, don't know if his is the original.

Everything there is getting drop shipped, by individuals or sole proprietors I've gotten to know over at least several months (i.e. I get a great deal and know I can count on them, in fact I feel really great about everyone involved). Also meaning I have no money, looking into some loans to buy inventory later.

*aaarrgggh* which page is it? I think this happens when I switch from the html (Dreamweaver) to DMX, to dynamic - thanks to all the shopping cart agonies, everything was ColdFusion, now php, and I think it doesn't update all the links. Great! That will take awhile, and I'm out to find a new host today too!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    MySQL is actually EXTREMELY easy to install. It's just like installing something like iTunes or AIM. You shouldn't use your own computer for hosting, unless you have a dedicated server and a T1+
    Brian : This must be the physics department.
    Chris : That explains all the gravity.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    2 year bump, not bad.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    wow, heh, sorry. I do that once in awhile (accidently)
    Brian : This must be the physics department.
    Chris : That explains all the gravity.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Nothing at all wrong with it actually!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads