Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Thanks for the help on the last question.

ok i need a webpage that has a username, then a price1 and price2,for item a and b. After entering the prices and username the user is rerutn to that page and the data is shown in a table below.

price1 and price2 are linked, e.g price2/2.9=price1 and price1*2.9=price2. (so thte user only has to enter 1 and the other is auto caculated

i was thinking of storing it in a mysql database, so that i can get the data for other stuff. althought each item should be in its own table.

anyhelp is appricated

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I'm not really sure what you mean. Mind trying to explain better or providing an example?

Member #
    ok i need a webpage that has a username, then a price1 and price2,for movie 1 and 2. After entering the prices and username the user is rerutn to that page and the data is shown in a table below.

price1 and price2 are linked, e.g price2/2.9=price1 and price1*2.9=price2. (so thte user only has to enter 1 and the other is auto caculated
    Movie1 , Movie2
    Username , price1 , price2 , price1 , Price2
    bob , 1 , 2.9 , 10 , 29
    Joe , 5 , 14.5 , 7 , 20.3

price1 and price2 and not linked between the too movies

Member #
    Karl-hsj, don't get offended by what i'm about to say. You are welcome to ask whatever you want, but you have to supply a reasonably coherent problem description. I'm only writing this as you've already been asked once to specify what you want to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-hsj
    ok i need a webpage that has a username... then a price1 and price2....
    This is totally incomprehensible!!

jlgosse asked you if you could elaborate, and you basically reprinted your cryptical explanation.

You want a webpage that "...has a username". What does that mean?

If you mean a webpage that stores the username after logging in, then you have to use sessions/cookies. If something else, elaborate.

After entering the prices and username the user is rerutn to that page ...
    This does not make sense!!!
    You mean a user who wants to buy a product have to enter the price of the product as well as entering his username? And not only that, he has to enter the name of two products, because they are related, even if he doesn't want the second product. And by the way, they are not related after all.(!!??)

After going through this nightmare, the user is 'rerutn' (guess that means re-routed) to the same page? That doesn't make sense either. The page apparently does not refresh after recieving information, but the user gets re-routed to the same page??
    If you want the page to refresh after user input, it's far quicker to go with JavaScript.
    If you want some complex interaction with DB data, you have to go serverside (PHP in this case), but judging from your somewhat cryptic explanation, you want to do some simple calculus?

My whole point is:
    Try to give a clear explanation of what you're trying to achieve. If you want to keep your specific idea hidden, then use an aphorism that's comprehensible!
    Even when talking to 'peers', it's extremely hard to guess what you are trying to achieve, after navigating through layers of deceptive fog.

In your head, I'm sure you can visualize the page and what you want it to do. Try to imagine yourself explaining the concept to a blind man, with computer illiteracy. That way you're forced to give a step by step comprehensible explanation. Grammar has nothing to do with it, but a coherent conceptual explanation is vital.

PS:
    If my somewhat harsh (but comprehensible) comments appears as linguistic arrogance, let me assure you that english is not my mother tongue.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Very unsure as to what is being asked here... if price1/price2 are for different movies what is the 2.9 about??

What this sounds like is a fairly simple application, but one that would require a small knowledge of relational database design.... you need to hold your prices in a table, possibly along with the movie names or maybe in a dated table linked to the movies via primary keys...

As above, until you really clarify exactly what it is you are after it is difficult to give specific advice.

Sean

Member #
    OK, i'm sorry for not being very clear.
    The page is for part of a fan site of an online game call HSX (Hollywood Stock Exchange). This game is based on movies opening in the United States. In this game movies are adjusted the weekend they open, too a price, equal to how many millions they will make in 4 weeks. This page is part of a game for people who play this game to guess the adjust price.

1) The user enters a username by which they want their estimates to be tracked.

2) Movie is the movie thatís opening that coming weekend, movie1 to movie? For how ever many are opening.

3) Price1 is the 3 day total the movie will make opening weekend, price2 is the estimated adjust price, for how much the movie will make in its 4 weeks.

4) 2.9 is the multiplier. That is a movie will make roughly 2.9 times what it makes in its first 3 days in 4 weeks. Hence price1 and price2 are related by the 2.9

5) When the user clicks submit to enter their estimates they will be stored in a database.

6) The initial page has the username and price entry form across the top then below that there is a table that show any estimates that have already been entered by various people. When a new user enters an estimate then it is stored to the database. They are bought back to the initial page and their estimate will now be visible in the table below the input from.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just on my way to work so can't really reply in depth now... at minimum you need three tables...

-> A user table
    -> User Id
    -> User Name
    -> Password
    -> A movie table
    -> Movie Id
    -> Movie Name
    -> Movie Description
    -> Day Premiers
    ...etc...
    -> A user movie estimates table
    -> User Id
    -> Movie Id
    -> Estimate

You don't need to hold both price1 and price2 as they are always 2.9x, though you could if you wished.

Sean

Remove Ads