Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all! I was given a project where I need to take a site built by another company that uses Drupal. The site exists and currently, they have tweaked the Zen template to customize their site theme. On this site is a link that is currently going to another directory of standard HTML pages. These flat files are in another foreign language.

My task is to take those flat pages and implement it into Drupal using the same theme as the main site. I have gone through some tutorials i found online as well as replicating a project from the O'Reilly book on Drupal. I am starting to understand how and where things are at, thanks to the O'reilly book. My question is in regards to this existing site.

The original designers already have a structure in place with the current site. At the top are links to other foreign language sites.

I want to basically "duplicate" the existing site and then have the link on the main site "link" to the "duplicate". To me, it seems logical to just download another instance of Drupal and repopulate that site, but I don't have the DB information (only admin login and ftp access, no cpanel access) to the main site.

Or do I need to put the pages within the same site? I'm not sure how to attack this problem. My boss wants to know ASAP if I can do this task or not. I'm willing to learn and would like any advice you can point me to the right direction.

The person who designed the main site designed the front page using oldschool HTML tables and dreamweaver rollovers. I went into Content and copied their HTML and pasted it on a new content page, but the new page I replicated with the exact code doesn't quite work right. it repeats the background images and shifts all the page down so it looks like I used a background behind a background if that makes sense.

I would post the page link but unfortunately I have a non-disclosure on this project.

I created my own Drupal instance which looks nothing like the real site, but have been using the book to kind of grasp how things work. I would rather not have to recreate the site but rather just "duplicate" the site. How is this done, but having the site "act" like its its own domain outside of the main site?

thank you in advance for your help!

Member #
    My advice on this is really pretty simple. If you have access to the original drupal site then copy all of the files from that site and upload them as is to your new directory.

If they made tweaks to the theme on the drupal site they did that either in the drupal control panel or in the sites files. So by copying the files over and setting them up with a new database you should theoretically copy everything that could have been changed over to the new site. Setup the database, make any final tweaks to the configuration and then copy the content from each page from the translation and start putting it in to the drupal site you have setup. You may even want to look at the drupal translations as well. It may be possible to have the same drupal site with certain translations loaded for the CMS as well as the content setup together. I have no experience with it but from my understanding it allows you to have a multilingual site all running together. Think a select your language drop down and everything changes to the selected language.

You can also take the static "flat" sites code and basically paste it in to drupal if you want to keep the same formatting. Just make sure that you set the input to full html and make any changes in the drupal control panel that are needed so that drupal does not change the code, this may include setting up another input format so that any wysiwyg editors do not come into play while inserting your code and if pasting in code you may also need to remove the line break converter. But basically anything in the "Body" tags of your site can transfer. But you may want to watch the head area because if they inserted a gallery of some sort or text effects that require a Java Script with tags that live in the head they will not work and you will need to find a different solution.

I don't know everything about drupal but I have learned that the best way I can figure it out is to mess around with a few things.

Remove Ads