Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hey all,

I've been reseaching all of the CMS available and Drupal keeps popping up more often than the rest. Is this because Drupal is considered among the cream of the crop?

I haven't used this one yet but am very curious to see what the hype is. What do you think and are there any better suggest CMS to dive into before I make my decision on using it?

Member #
    Is this because Drupal is considered among the cream of the crop?
    Hardly. Drupal is a monstrosity only a programmer could love. And so, programmers having some little over-representation on the web, tout the "granularity" of Drupal.

...It's a control freak thing. You wouldn't understand. That is, unless you have a 1,000 piece tool set, nine-tenths of which you have never even conceived of a reason to use.

there any better suggest CMS to dive into before I make my decision on using it?
    You've outlined no requirement. No purpose in using any kind of CMS. No content strategy. No content types, nor migration concerns. Not a hint of any kind of user.

...Drupal is perfect for you.

I highly recommend you inflict ...er, install it, wherever and whenever possible. The "what's a node" and "why do my Microsoft Word Docs look screwed up ...I used the Import Word function?!" are from nontechnical haters. Pay them no mind.

If you're getting complaints, just turn on more modules. Drupal is a technology solution, remember, so if it's not working, you're not solving hard enough.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856 View Post
    Hardly. Drupal is a monstrosity only a programmer could love. And so, programmers having some little over-representation on the web, tout the "granularity" of Drupal.
    Every single programmer I know or have ever met hates it. Bloated portal system, just like Joomla.

Member #
    "You've outlined no requirement. No purpose in using any kind of CMS. No content strategy. No content types, nor migration concerns. Not a hint of any kind of user.

...Drupal is perfect for you. "

When I make websites I like the idea of the old fashion way where I build the html skeleton, then style it with some css, and add whatever is needed after such as PHP, Javascript/Jquery, use xml files or MySql, etc.

When I've tried CMS I find it restricts the things I can manipulate or I have to find solutions on the web. So I'll ask how well does Drupal compliment scripting languages and can I still have the freedom I am use to without a CMS.

Say I wanted to use a Jquery plugin like Galleria or Lightbox, will there be a compatability issue (not saying I will use it as I strive to create my own plugins)?

I'll keep researching as I have already downloaded Drupal but not installed.

The reason I have been thinking about a CMS is the idea of going to a control panel and editting content without affecting functionality but if I don't have the absolute freedom I like then what is the point?

Thanks again for your replies.

Member #
    Every single programmer I know or have ever met hates it.
    Every single programmer I have met loves to gripe about how nobody understands how hard their life is. They love Drupal.

One guy told me all he wanted was a forum he didn't have to think about. Then he goes and installs PHP Nuke. No mandates. No committees. The whole wide world to choose from.

They all love Drupal.

the absolute freedom
    I'd suggest Cushy. You just build it any way you want. You'll like the concept: Add the cushy spefier to only those divs you want clients to edit. Client logs in and sees only the editable parts you specify.

Member #
    Thx, DC...

I'll let my friend Google tell me some more about Cushy.

Member #
    A friend sang Drupal's praises to me a while ago, and more and more of my clients have asked about it as a solution to their web editing means. I've tried a couple times to install it, and was only partly successful. I've spent way too much time wading through their website and the staggering amounts of documentation which is spotty, contradictory, and unintelligible.

Even installing something like an image upload/management system is fraught with peril. Something you would think would be necessary in a CMS and thus, would have an easy, out of the box solution. I found half a dozen module options (before I gave up) and I wasn't able to get any of them to work. Not that the solutions weren't good, or possible, they obviously worked for the people that posted them. But the installation instructions were so bad, that even the ones that started with wonderfully clear step-by-step procedures quickly evolved into obscure prattle. My hats off to the "Thanks for the fix!" responders, they have more skill than me.

I think I would be okay if it was pre-installed, and all I needed to do was style the template with CSS, but for now, the learning curve is way to steep for me to tackle.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I must be a freaking genius!!!

Never had a problem with it!
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Remove Ads