Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hi

Member #
    Hi there. First of all let me say that I'm new to this site and therefore apologise in advance for any starter clangers that I may drop!
    I am currently developing a members only website for my barbershop club. I am using Drupal 6.19.
    Naturally as a singing club our members have to learn songs. In order to record who has learned what songs and who has not, we keep a record on what we call 'the Purple Dot System'. When a member successfully submits a recording he is awarded a 'purple dot' by our music team.
    Using CCK, Views, and flag modules I have managed to create the tables required to do this, but they are maintained by the singer and I want them to be maintained only by the music team such that, when a member submits a successful recording, a member of the music team will set the appropriate flag to award the purple dot to the appropriate singer. If anyone knows of a module which works in this way, or can give any clues on any other way to do this I would be grateful. I am a retired hardware/stroke software engineer and have a very good working knowledge of C and C++, but my knowledge of PHP is limited only to the similarities between C and PHP.
    I hope my explanation of what I require is not over complex or verbose, but I really would appreciate some direction here as I have been tearing my hair out for days over this.

Member #
    Hi there Jocke

I think what you need to do is first play around with the permissions.

Go to User Management => Permissions, and set the permissions to maintain the submissions only to the Music Team Members. By default, I think there are only 2 user types: Anonymous user and Authenticated User. You might have to create a new user type (maybe call it "Music Team Member") for the team members to maintain the submissions. To create this new user type, go to User Management => Roles, and add a new role named "Music Team Member". Then go back to the permissions page and configure the permissions so that only the Music Team Members have the ability to reward purple dots.

Now, does flagging work? Did you already try it? If flagging works, then all you have to do is configure the permissions as mentioned above. If the problem is getting the flag to work, then I'm not too sure because I never used that module before.

So the trick lies in the permissions. Customize the permissions, and add new user types, so only Music Team Members can flag people.

Hopefully that helped... slap another post down if you got more questions :laugh:

Good luck!

-David Zhu

Member #
    Hi David.
    Thanks for your quick reply. Sadly I have tried all the things you have suggested. I think the problem lies with the flag module - or rather the interplay between that module and views (filters, arguments and relationships). Using views I can create a table which does nearly all of the things I want to do.

The flag module allows you to set permissions when you configure it and I have configured it for music team members only. I think I am very close to a solution and I will have another play tomorrow. If I am successful and if you are interested I will post my solution here.
    Jocke.

Member #
    This is a permissions issue. I have used the taxonomy_access to give permsions to certain areas of a site. What you have make sure is that the groups that you have created don't overlap each other. With some more details I might be able to help - i've built over 40 drupal sites for the university i work for.

Member #
    Sorted!

Thanks for your response yfat32.

Permissions will only allow a user to set unset his/her own flag. I want a trusted user to set/unset flags for other users.

This issue was resolved by using the masquerade module and allowing the trusted member to log in as other members when (along with a little custom php) he/she could set the flag for that user.

The custom php used the $_SESSION[masquerading] variable created by masquerade module to determine if the user currently logged in is masquerading or not.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Remove Ads