Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a Go Daddy host. I'm ok with it. It works. The issue is that I took over a position and the site was so messed up and not to mention, hosting pharmaceutical sales - and not the legitimate kind - this was not intentional. The previous site was built in Joomla. Joomla didn't make sense to me and I have "trust" issues with it. So, my idiosyncratic tendencies aside...I created a new site in Drupal. I like Drupal. I'm probably in the minority, but it works for me.

Now, my issue is getting rid of the Joomla site so the Drupal becomes active. Basically, I *think* I need to make the www.mysite.com/drupal become just www.mysite.com Currently www.mysite.com goes to the Joomla page. I just have no idea how to do that. I thought it would be simple. It's been a very long time since I have done this.

I made the rookie mistake of using the app for Drupal. The app was used for Joomla, too. I should've known better and I got that lecture on the Drupal forums, but no solution. I will duplicate the site in a test environment and then clean up the html tree, but right now, I just need the bad site gone (forever is ok with me) and the new one live.

The Go Daddy support guy suggested I just uninstall the Joomla app and that should force the Drupal to be live. Sounds logical, but I'm nervous about it. I don't want to be site-less for more than a few hours. Will this work? What is the worst that will happen?

What is the best option? What's the quickest option? Is there a quick fix that can be followed up with a best fix?

Thanks!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    GoDaddy should really help you with this, but whatever.
    Here's what you could do.
    1. Uninstall the Joomla website.
    2. go into FTP, and then put everything in the drupal folder in the root folder.
    3. Hope it works?
    4. May have to change RewriteBase in .htaccess of drupal site to / instead of /drupal/

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Whoa.... You don't need to uninstall anything...

But depending on how you setup the Drupal site to begin with...

If during the install of Drupal, you specified the install as folder on the root, then there are setting that are not going to work properly if you just change the root of hosting to point at that folder...

What you'll need to do is

1: pull a copy of existing install, modify the config settings to remove the "folder" reference ( should only be in 1 or 2 places ), then upload the entire site to the root...( might wanna pull a copy of the joomla install before doing this in case you'll need to put it back later for whatever reason ).

Or

2: Create a new Drupal installation but this time instead of installing it as a folder, install it on the root ( use the "/" as the install folder. You can point that install to an existing DB so you don't have to reload all your data. ( similar to what godaddy support suggested ).

Just uninstalling the current joomla will pretty much render your site completely useless ( but he did say good luck )....

I don't believe there are any htaccess rules installed by default for joomla or Drupal unless you are utilizing some of the mod-rewrite rules, but the defaults don't generally create any if you install the apps to folders.

Member #
    Thank you Webzarus! That worked like a charm. The home page is live. However, I now get the below error on the linked pages...

I think I followed your instructions correctly. I checked the Joomla folder and moved the folders from the root with the same titles to a new folder (JoomlaStorage). I then copied the drupal folder (DrupalCopy) and from the original folder I moved the contents to the root. I didn't see any folder references in the config folder...I am going to look again.
    Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at www.laferney.com Port 80

Member #
    And now I can't access the drupal admin from GoDaddy to change anything. *sobs*

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    WOW. Both Drupal and Joomla rely on databases. Have you set up your config file in Drupal to access the correct database, and is the database installed to the root? If the database is still pointed at www.yoursite.com/drupal, instead of www.yoursite.com, you'll have errors.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, definately the config file

No, if you move Drupal or any other app they they installed, you can't access it from the control panel settings as it only knows where it was originally setup.

I didn't give specific instructions as each server setup is different. Not familiar with Drupal, since I haven't used it in years, but I do remember a config file that set the path to your folders and file locations so I suspect the issue is in there.

At this point, if you do want to use Drupal config settings in the godaddy control panel, you probably want to just so a fresh install, but point it to your current DB instead of creating a new one.

Member #
    Apparently there is a glitch. (Place surprised face here). Www.sitename/Drupal/?=user got me back to the Drupal dashboard. Whew. All seems well. Thanks for the help. :-)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    So you got it figured out?

Remove Ads