Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you're a regular member here and you don't have a link back to WDF, you're really not doing your part in making this community all it can be.

WDF's Google Page Rank is 5/10 right now. That means there are NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE LINKING BACK!!!

I know many of you have gotten repeated help here. Those of you who this applies to know who you are. You have NO EXCUSE for not putting a link to WDF on a top-level page of your website!

Oh, also, if you've ever posted a link to a site of yours here or if you have your website listed in your profile, you're benefitting from a higher link-popularity just by being a member here!

So if you're not linking back, get to it! I've put links to WDF on all of my major sites, and I've even put it on some client sites (with their permission). PS - I am not affiliated with WDF, and I stand to gain nothing from your compliance with this request.

Here's a quick link script:
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.webdesignforums.net/">Web Design Forums</a>

Member #
    Good call Steve, the more link backs the better. Although, I would think you are affiliated w/ WDF. We all are by registering, and you're kinda sorta one of the moderators.

Member #
    I agree with you transio!

While on this topic, is the referral system intact?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yes, the referral system is still online.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks filburt.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay...a few things:

First of all, it's not always possible for every site to do this. For example, it wouldn't fit on either of my business sites because one focuses on computer consulting and the other one doesn't really have a place for relevant links that wouldn't look stupid and out of place (I know, because I've tried to get it in there).

Second, a 5/10 PageRank doesn't really imply anything one way or the other. Google has a logarithmic PageRank algorithm (believed to be base 10 log) so a 5/10 PageRank means that there are a good number of pages (at least 10,000) linking back to the WDF home page.

There is also a theory that is becoming more and more popular (and one I tend to subscribe to based strictly on my own observation) that the weight of forum pages is being diluted in the PageRank algorithm. If this is true (and I suspect it is) that means there are still a great deal of other sites and pages that link to WDF.

Before anyone uses Google's "wonderful" link:www.webdesignforums.net thing to establish otherwise, keep in mind that Google's backlink checker only provides a sample of all backlinks it has on file for somebody. This means that it stores a great number of backlinks that it never reveals.

Besides, PR is not the only factor in Google's extremely-distorted new algorithm. As the world-famous "miserable failure" experiment has shown us, it's the anchor text that's becoming increasingly important as well.

The tone of this post makes it somewhat difficult for others to link to the site as well. Let's take anyone with a web design company for example (and to make life simple, we'll call it Bob's Design). Bob's Design has a hyperlink to WDF on his website somewhere. Bob's customer comes along, visits the link page and goes to WDF. Bob's customer finds this post with an angry overtone. Bob's customer wonders why Bob's Design would be associated with such a thing in the first place, and Bob just lost a customer.

Now I do realize that the tone of this post is somewhat isolated, but there are other cases in which it does occur. I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't want to lose a customer myself because of the way something came out.

Please don't get me confused either. I think it's a good idea for everyone to link to WDF where and when they can. I just don't think it's a good idea to try and muscle someone into doing it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi!

Is there a button or a logo we could use? I am very happy to link back to WDF from my site, and if there is a preferred image, then can you please point it out?

Thanks!
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have wanted to comment on this since yesterday but didnt want to sound, anti-WDF because I do like this forum.. but since adam went first..

I do link to WDF on my personal site, and I always speak highly of this forum and always encourgage colleuges to join. But I would not put a link onto my buisness site, and especially not a clients site because I dont want my clients coming here.

I know that sounds harsh, but listen for a second.. Although I always try to keep a professional attitude, and never disclose client/site information. I dont want a client to know that I offer free help here, but charging them.

Also to be quite honest, just like you would never post google ads on your company site from competing web designers, posting a link from WDF is almost the same thing. I woudln't want to loose a potential client through the "Request a Service" forum.

I agree that we should all link to WDF where we can, but like adam stated its not for every site..

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    No one's saying you have to post a link, or where is appropriate. Of course that's up to you. Personally, on any forum I join (and I ALWAYS ask the admin first) I place links to 3 sites in my sig. Here, HoH, and AF. In fact, I just joined another site a couple of days ago (turns out a fellow mod at HoH is an admin there) and I placed the links in there.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Google is messed up in the head... I have no idea how it works anymore... PR seems to be completely arbitrary to ranking now... also WDF seems to rank high on a lot of things, so I don't think it's starving for links.

What I think we need is some quality traffic... if filburt would change a few things here and there to make the forum completely standards-compliant (albeit a massive challange) he has a good chance of getting listed at www.cssvault.com based nearly 100% on being the first standards-based forum. That would bring in more (quality) visitors than anything, but that's just my opinion.

I link to WDF when appropriate, but it's never getting a link from my design site. I only link to sites in my portfolio from that. Linking to a forum would confuse visitors.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads