Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Suggestion 1: Having a small indication from the thread listing that an answer to a specific thread has been found.maybe a small tick after the subject of the original posting would alert users that an answer to this question has been found.

Suggestion 2: Standardising edits to original posts. Instead of the original poster addding to posts all over a thread they could have the option to update they're original post as progress is made on a topic. By doing this an outsider is immediently brought to the most current developments in a thread and knows the current standing without trawling through all the posts.

The original poster would be obliged not to reply to individuals in they're first post as its origins would lye further into a thread and would confuse a new reader.
    A user could then read other posts to find out the background to this original posters findings.

Currently when a user edits an original post there is no indication they have done so and a new reader may be obliged to skip to the very last post to see what the out come was. The trouble is very often the last post does not contain the full background the the answer.

An original poster could be given the option to use standardised edits to they're ammendments such as an italic "Progress 1:" that would then become a "Progress 2:" on the next edit and so on.
    This way threads become yet more accessible to those from outside users that may be searching for current problems they have encountered.

Just thought I'd share this method because its what I've been doing with my post recently.
    example: http://www.we bdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=15167
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    Having a small indication from the thread listing that an answer to a specific thread has been found.maybe a small tick after the subject of the original posting would alert users that an answer to this question has been found.
    This option is available when you post a new topic, vbut depends on whether the user chooses to make use of it or not.
    Currently when a user edits an original post there is no indication they have done so and a new reader may be obliged to skip to the very last post to see what the out come was. The trouble is very often the last post does not contain the full background the the answer.
    At the bottom of every post, above the 'justlivyalife is online now!' part in the grey bar that also contains the reply & edit links, a 'Post edited by 'username' at 'time'. etc etc. see this post for an example .
    An original poster could be given the option to use standardised edits to they're ammendments such as an italic "Progress 1:" that would then become a "Progress 2:" on the next edit and so on.
    This way threads become yet more accessible to those from outside users that may be searching for current problems they have encountered.
    The user can do this by adding a comment to their edit, which appears after the edited time & date (I've edited this post and added a comment so you can see.)

Edit: A user can add comments like this to a thread if they wish, but I imagine it would be a logistical nightmare to make sure people used them.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_Gsheep
    Suggestion 2: Standardising edits to original posts.
    I think this would get too confusing. Threads here are in a linear fashion. If I were to make a post in a thread 10 posts down that fixes 50% of a problem, the thread starter would acknowledge this in the begining of the thread? Readers would have to read my post anyways to see what fixed the problem. When to make a new post and when to edit the original post would be too confusing for everyone to decide. Reading the post in the order it progressed is less confusing for all. If you are following a thread, you can skip old posts by clicking the "Go to the first unread post" link which appears under the title of the thread. Once we start changing the order of the conversation, it will confuse more people than it will help.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Granted, however if a poster wished they could edit the original post to say something like "click this link to get the answer to this thread fast" and have a link to the post; however reading how a problem is fixed helps most people in truly understanding the solution.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Yeah maybe, just thought I'd help wheels turn a little
    www.appletv.co.uk

Remove Ads