Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Team WDF

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but has anyone even considered making a small "team" of various WDF members to code various things to help add to both WDF and the net in general?

Example.. on "Team WDF's" website, we could have tutorials, articles, scripts that we have coded, team member "blogs", a small forum, etc.

I think this would be a great idea, and also be a chance for members to work together on various levels.. to help eachother out, learn new things, and make a plethora of information to be made readily available to the general public, and WDF members alike.

If anyone here is interested in starting a project like this with me and some other members, I think it would be a great idea. I know I wouldn't mind spending some of my free time to donate my time and skills to the community, maybe giving younger and newer developers a taste of what we have to offer would be great for WDF.

EDIT: Also, if this was taken far enough, we could do work for clients, and all proceeds could be given to Filburt to support WDF and what-not. Even some charity work would be nice.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The idea about working on scripts and tutorials and the like has been discussed before, but not in awhile I think. It may be worth a discussion by the staff. Please feel free to discuss it in here. The blog and mini-forum ideas are new. They're worth investigating, however I'd guess that the mini-forum (at least hosted here) would be shot down pretty quickly. Also, the group tutorial idea I mentioned in a thread earlier this week.

Group scripts have in the past been kinds shot down, however there are also threads where people have built up each other's code and ended up with a nice script.

In any case, the more RATIONAL discussion in this thread, the more careful thought the staff will put into it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I've stated the case of adding "Articles" and "Scripts" sections to the site in the past. Filburt has remaind adamant on his stance that WDF is a forum - not a complete web designers' resource.

Member #
    Maybe we could create a sister site to WDF - maybe WDR (with the r being resources)?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yep, filburt's been quite adamant on this subject.

Although, honestly, I'd love to see WDF turn to a Sitepoint sort of atmosphere, with articles, etc. That's just my 2c, and I don't own the site, so it don't matter
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I wouldn't commit suicide if it was added, but my main objection is the site's name as mentioned contains "forums."
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I think this is a great idea, and I would be a part of it. Although it is up to filburt, i think it is a logical 'next step'. Yes you may argue this is nothing more then a forum, but many people who come here expect more then that. They want resources.

A regular forum is great for discussion, but as you and everybody here knows forums have an inherite problem. Nobody wants to search through posts to find answers. They would rather redundant questions. If we had some type of article system going, or other bank of resources this site could evolve into something like sitepoint.

I think this site is poised to become a web designer reference.

Member #
    I am away from home right now because a family member just died ( :/ ), but I must make a comment.

Would my idea of having a "sister site" not work? This way WDF would remain purely forums, and we could have all other resources and whatnot on a seperate site.

A Sitepoint atmosphere would be awesome, and if we used my idea of sister sites it would be VERY similiar to Sitepoint. Remember, they have sitepointforums.com for their forums.

I think it's safe to say we could raise enough money between us to cover hosting/domain costs etc.

Anyways, back to family business. Hope everyone else is having a much better day. :/

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    and what do you know.. teamwdf.com is up for grabs.

I dont know if this has already been discussed, but it might be possiable to aquire wdf.net or maybe affiliate with the organization that currently has the domain since they define define wdf as web designers forum. It just seems to be a perfect fit.

Some ideas none the less..

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    WDF is a NO. 3 letter domains are too expensive, and I'm pretty sure teaming up with them would not be agreeable with the staff, as there is no real benefit of doing it.

IIRC, about a year ago (I'd have to check old moderator threads) a 2nd site was mentioned. If more people post in this thread, the topic of a sister site can be re-assessed.

As for the inherent problem with forums and searching, that is why the idea of user-compiled tutorials were suggested. Of course this could also be tied into an article system on this or a sister site.

Again, please keep posting comments about this topic. The more comments the staff get from the members of this forum, the better off we are in our discussions of this topic.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads