Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Your "view last post" link at the top right of each forum in the homepage list shows the title of the last item posted, and the person who posted it.

Howver, it links to "showthread.php?goto=lastpost", which sometimes takes you to a totally different post than the one displayed.

I think a couple of times in the past, I've even seen posts that don't exist in that forum.

I don't know if it's listing invalid "last posts", or if the last post changes between the time the page is generated and the time you click the link, if it's taking you to that post, or if it's a combination of both, but it's kinda funky. I've stopped clicking that link altogether.

JR
    Member #
    sometimes it takes you to a post that is not displayed because somebody has posted a new thread before you have refreshed the page as the link takes you to the newest thread. Sometimes you have seen threads which are not in the forum because they have probably been moved to a different forum or deleted completely. This changes i believe after somebody has posted a newer thread in that forum.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If you're talking about the last thread title being wrong every now and then, I know. It's pretty crappily coded (yes, I coded it ) but it works only when somebody posts a new thread or replies to one. If one is deleted, moved, etc. it becomes inaccurate.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    That's exactly what I mean.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There's also a bug with the "Go to first new post" button. Sometimes it will show when I'M the first new post, and the LATEST post. It will also sometimes show when I've read the entire thread.

What's going on with it?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It goes to the first unread post which hasn't had its behavior changed.

I'm going to investigate the hack version of the last thread title to replace the POS version I have right now.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I understnad that the "Go to first new post" link is based off cookie settings, but i think when a user posts to a thread, it should update all the posts in that thread and mark them as read.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You'd think but vB's determining of what you've read is quirky, to say the least. In vB3 it's even more strange (you can read every thread in a forum but the forum indiciator is still unread; of course vB3 is still early beta).

Remove Ads