Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have been away for about a year.

Last time I was in this forum, there was a side-scrolling problem, but it turned out to be solved by returning my browser accessibility option to the default.

This time, my IE 6.0 is at the default settings and I have even worse side-scrolling in this forum. Very, very annoying.

Solutions please? And is anyone else having this problem?

--Krystof

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It may be caused by an IE rendering bug. Try selecing the "Bigger" link in the header to switch to a liquid layout.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    It may be caused by an IE rendering bug. Try selecing the "Bigger" link in the header to switch to a liquid layout.
    Well, I finally found the "bigger" link...but it doesn't help. Everything stays about 2" wider than my monitor. Am I possibly the only forum member using IE and a 15" monitor?

By the way...I just remembered what happened last time (6-12 months ago). The font size of this forum was very small, and would not respond to view-->text size, and so I had to use "ignore font sizes" in my IE tools-->options. But when I did this, enlarging the text also created side-scrolling. So I had to choose between tiny text or side-scrolling.

But I complained about the small text--and now I see you have fixed that. Now this forum responds to -->text size. But...side-scrolling!

(Of course you are the expert, and I don't even know what you mean by a "fluid layout." But in my small experience, usually, side-scrolling is caused by: 1. The use of a wide graphic in the header. That's why I personally try to use for my headers a narrow graphic with a "seamlessly" repeatable background, so it can stretch just as wide or narrow as you please. Or: 2. In my vBulletin, side-scrolling is easily caused by all the navigation buttons. So if using non-standard buttons, I try to remove any <nobr> or otherwise do what is needed to allow the buttons to stack up if necessary to fit a narrow screen. However in my experience, there should be no problem with a 15" screen in any case. So maybe that's not it?)

PS--I just went to Webhostingtalk.com--and also to my own amateurish vBulletin forum--and there is no side-scrolling. So it appears to be caused by something only in the extensive customization at Webdesignforums.net.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The site is designed for 800 x 600 resolutions and higher. What resolution are you using, as well as what version of IE? IE 6 at last check properly scaled font sizes.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    800x600 resolution
    IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

I also visited the forum using 2 other computers, both with 800x600 resolution. One had a slightly larger screen, and was no side-scrolling--but if the browser window width was reduced even slightly, the forum would not compact to fit. With the other with a 15" screen there was also side-scrolling.

Evidently this forum is designed to exactly fit a certain screen. I personally like to design my sites to fit a 12" screen, if not smaller, including with the "larger" text size. Many people's eyesight has suffered from computer use, and it is a wise precaution to use "larger" text size--although many websites make this difficult. Other people have already poor eyesight or use portable computers.

Anyway, certainly my 15" screen should not see side-scrolling with "medium" text size--but it does, even when I reduce the text size to "smallest." Evidently you are using fixed-width graphics for the dividers or something.

Member #
    On my school computers - all on 800 by 600 resolution on 15" screens, running Windows NT 4 and IE 6.0, I get side scrolling when viewing WDF - both when in smaller & bigger mode.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Most likely an IE rendering bug and I've given up on debugging those for this version. Must wait for WDF v5.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    i think it may be the google ad thing.

[EDIT] Yeah, that's it. Log out, click some of the menu links at the top where you need to be registered to access them. Standard vB window comes up, well within the screen (no AdSense bar).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Just want to say that Webdesignforums.net is by far the smoothest silkiest vB forum I have found. Obviously this takes a lot of work.

So I am glad the side-scrolling problem is found. Also glad it is not just I who am going insane. It's nice to have company.
    :alien: Krystof :alien:

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Yeah, Filburt worked on it for a loooonng time. And yeah, there's a NEW one in the works for vB 3.5. Yes, he's nuts
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads