Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    this website is too wide for my pc screen, when i read a thread, i have to utilize the bottom scroll bar and move it side to side as i read a paragraph,
    any ideas on how i can stop this problem ?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    get with the times and change your screen res to 1024?
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    maybe that's the only way, but i am on this resolution so that when i create a website it can be viewed by both of the most popular screen resolutions,

Member #
    You could perhaps attempt to persuade the WDF crew to make this web site resolution independent. Meaning that it can be viewed on almost any resolution.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by changintimes
    maybe that's the only way, but i am on this resolution so that when i create a website it can be viewed by both of the most popular screen resolutions,
    1024 x 768 is the most common resolution now, hence that design consideration when this version of WDF was created. With some data like a complex forum, it's simply not possible to show it at certain widths.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I agree that 1024 x 768 is the most common resolution, but that does not mean you should totally neglect 800x600. 800x600 does not have too small a width for a forum design like this I should think, unless you count the buttons up there. Perhaps you should put an auto scroll on the buttons for those with lower resolutions. Something like what is seen on http://channel9.msdn.com. (Niners Online panel).

Not wanting to design for 800x600 is like saying that since most of the users use IE and Firefox, screw Opera and Safari, I don't want to design for them.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperair
    Not wanting to design for 800x600 is like saying that since most of the users use IE and Firefox, screw Opera and Safari, I don't want to design for them.
    I really wouldn't go that far :errm: At least a design destined for 1024 res would still work in 800 res ... with only a scrollbar added :knockedout:

When designing a site, you want to envision your potential users. In this case ... web designers/developpers/graphics peeps. I would like to think that *most* (if not all) web designers/developpers/graphics peeps have at least their screen res set to 1024. If not ... you should really get in the times and grab a bigger monitor (they so cheap now with flat panels being the big thing - even those are cheap ) or up your screen res

My 0.35 cents worth irate:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    Yes sure its only a scrollbar, but scrollbars do get really irritating. And let's say you have a monitor that's really really small and there isn't enough money to get a new one. Sure you cater to your potential users. And most web/graphic designers have their resolutions set to 1024x768. But what about the minority? I believe my analogy is correct, because the potential users should also come in Firefox and IE mostly, and you could very well correct those misguided people who use Safari, Opera and the like to use Firefox. That isn't a very pleasant thing to do is it. So, I don't think it's very pleasant to neglect those with 800x600 resolutions either.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Yes sure its only a scrollbar, but scrollbars do get really irritating.
    May be irritating but the truth of the matter is... at least the site works and looks the same from IE to FF to whatever other browser your are using.

But what about the minority?
    Now, I can't speak for the big guns running this site but personally... if the minority is less than 10% of users browsing this site with a 800 res, than I wouldn't fret about it.

Like I said tho ... that's a personal opinion.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    May be irritating but the truth of the matter is... at least the site works and looks the same from IE to FF to whatever other browser your are using.
    Site works and looks same from IE to FF and every other browser I've come across, sure. I only used this as an analogy, because what you suggested is similar, very similar to doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    Now, I can't speak for the big guns running this site but personally... if the minority is less than 10% of users browsing this site with a 800 res, than I wouldn't fret about it.
    It's just always better to make a site resolution independent. What if I was trying to view it using a handheld device? It would make things even worse wouldn't it? Plus, making the top buttons auto-scroll like I suggested isn't too hard a thing. I've done it before, and if I can, I'm sure the big guns running this site can.
    Hyperair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads