Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Visual Appeal
    Accessibility
    Download Time
    Compatibility
    Lasting Effect

The Problem
    The rating does nothing to help the user with there website. Also Download and Compatibility inflate the users rating while proving very little in terms of help.

My Solution
    Have ratings for visual appeal and Lasting Affect. These both are at least a little useful.

Next have a "fully functioning in" check box which has each of the browsers in. "Unfunctional in..."

Download time should be. "1-3 seconds", "4-6 seconds","7-10 seconds", "timed out/lost interest"

Accessibility should be "fully accessible", "unaccessible for.. insert usergroups here"

Finally an "impressions" text box where users can sum up there impressions of the site in a couple of sentences.

This would leave the topic for the person to recommend changes or way forwards.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    While the current rating scale cannot be changed (it would affect all past ratings and introduce incompatibility), we can discuss it for WDF v6 which will carry over the general concept of How's My Site in some respect.

The objective is to have users also reply with comments to justify their ratings, although not everybody does that, and vice versa (many people comment without rating the site formally).

I disagree with the "fully functioning in" idea. Many of us just use one browser as our primary browser, and only use other browsers for testing. That's why it records your user agent when you vote in order to track browser usages (see the link at the bottom of an HMS rating box).

Impressions gives me the idea of a pros/cons explicit separation.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads