Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    can i still enter a site which isn't live, i'm hosting on my site and well, the client just pulled out of the deal even tho it is finished so wanting to use it once for a good cause?

ta

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    So long as the other requirements of the contest are met, yes.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I hope you got paid!
    GMan

Member #
    got paid

let me tell you the story. you may find it funny.

photographer designed a site which i developed to the T.

and the client even though i advised a very long email about domains and hosting etc they bought a domain and no hosting .anyway i advised again (many phone calls and emails which shouldn't have been done with the cost of the project) what to go for and they were having some money probs.

anyway got the money early this week (even tho the project was finished ages ago). i expected to get the hosting and site up this week as they were getting the hosting which i suggested. then i got a call later this week from the 'new business partner' who was taking over the website, etc. they instructed that they were scrapping the website i did. so they were told that no cash would be given back!!! they now want CMS (which i could have done if ask , but wasn't). told them its really a waste of money scrapping it, but they don't care.

doesn't seem like good business sense but hey, who cares. got paid.:-)

just missing it for my portfolio. would any of you put it in your portfolio anyway??

Member #
    Yea, I would include it (inform them first), but I would not link to their current site. That is almost what happened with the UFO Connection Radio site I did. I did it all up, and the host loved it, but, she couldn't get my design to work in Frontpage (oh, the horrors) so redid it all herself.. I told her that I was going to keep my design in my portfolio, and she said it was fine.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    what do i say tho? site not launched yet. or old site or what?

Member #
    Something like "Site not launched" would work. It just depends on what you want.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    ta

Member #
    Well, I see that kind of stuff a lot with businesses. Spending more time on the consulting side of things, I see a many of them with not only no business plan......but no plan in general.
    This sounds like one of those companies. Your job is to design a site, give them the best advice possible on how to use it, market it, and make other recommendations relevant to their site.
    You've done that......nothing more you can do (other than shake your head at their stupidity).

I agree that you should keep the design in your portfolio if you are happy with it. Agree to that you just don't link it to their site.

These are always good "examples" to have in your portfolio. You are meeting with a client and show them the site you did and then let them know the mistakes the customer made. This makes you a resource/expert whatever you want to refer to it as. Either way, it makes you look good to the customer because you are advising them.

As for what to say, just say what it is. Here is a site I developed for a customer.
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    As for what to say, just say what it is. Here is a site I developed for a customer.
    i like that, cheers mate

Remove Ads