Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    We reorganized the way some of the forums are laid out and renamed many of them.

Thoughts? Feedback?

Member #
    Well, I was a bit surprised when I got here, but I like it.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    By the way, I updated the "Request a Service" forum.

It's now called "Free Classified Ads".

Anyone can post an ad, and other members can now reply to them. The original poster can close his own ad/thread, though, when his request has been fulfilled.

Eventually, I'd like to create a whole Classified Ads section, with space for job postings, designs for sale, entire websites for sale, and maybe more...

Member #
    I'm still getting used to it. To be honest I do not interface with the main page too much, but it seems to be organized well.

Negatives:
    - Ironic that features, specifically SOTM is now buried at the bottom and yet there's another post calling for submissions.
    - I don't think "General Discussion" is as descriptive as "Non-Web Design Discussion"
    - "Forum Help" uses better keywords than "Forum Discussion."
    - "Announcements" which I would think are of interest to people... is a buried forum.

I do like how software has been separated from general questions. (I got the automated email from the Illustrator forum of some test post you eventually deleted, btw... caused a little confusion, but I'm smart enough to figure it out :-) ) It also seems like the more popular forums are taking up the top real estate... so tell us has the bounce rate improved?

</opinion>
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Thanks for the detailed feedback, DC. I'll be honest, the stuff at the bottom (Announcements, Contests, etc.) hasn't been organized yet. That's why it's at the bottom :-P

I'm planning on having a top navigation that will include separate links for Home, Articles & Tutorials, Contests, and Forums. Eventually, I'd like to integrate a separate software to handle articles and contests, because I don't think vBulletin is conducive to that type of content (even with plug-ins, and believe me, I've been researching the options exhaustively). However, that will take some time to integrate (and to import the old data), so for now, I have to think about what will be the best place to put these sections in the meantime.

Member #
    I got really surprised when I got in. Nothing was where I thought it was. I'll get used to it, though.
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, well let me know if anything's an issue. There's a method to my madness. :-D

Member #
    the cms section is a bit weird, i understand that drupal and joomla are the most common, however it would be better to have an other section for CMS made simple, Frog CMS, radiant, etc, etc

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The CMS section is experimental... In retrospect, I think it might make more sense as a "Server Software Help" section, with the following sub-sections:

• Content Management Systems (Joomla, Drupal, etc.)
    • e-Commerce Systems (osCommerce, etc.)
    • Forums (vBulletin, phpBB, etc.)
    • Other

Of course, there are other forums dedicated just to each of these items, but in my experience, it's a real hassle to have to sign up at 100 different forums to get help with each thing. I'd like to turn WDF into a place where anyone can get help with any aspect of web design and development.

Member #
    "Server Software Help" suggests to me server tools ie: spamassasin, plesk, postfix, litespeed apache.

interesting section, i'll be watching how it develops

Remove Ads