Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone,

The management of WDF is in my experience very responsive and thoughtful. A lot of time has spent in the look of this site, which I respect and appreciate. And yet, WDF seems to disagree with me in making WDF non-friendly to my eyes. Therefore, I thought WDF is the ideal place for me to discuss this particular concern of mine.

Maybe I just don't know how to use my browser properly? But it used to be, I just selected View--->Text Size--->Larger and I got a larger print on a web page.

Today, in Hotmail and at WDF, this does not happen. The print is getting smaller and I am not allowed to make it larger...

Meanwhile, I read articles about how wonderful CSS and other developments are, because new browsers can "override" certain settings if desired so everyone is happy...but I am not happy...

Well, I am sure somewhere I can set my browser to make print bigger. But obviously it is not so easy as before---and I don't always want them bigger.

At one time I had my computer set on "large fonts." But then at certain websites, I simply could not read some very important navigation buttons. It is not feasible to re-start my entire computer for each website...

So, I became a user of the browser "text size" option. Sometimes it makes a big mess. But one place where print definately can be bigger is in emails and forums.

Perhaps web designers assume this is only a problem for a tiny minority with poor eyesight? Well, I do not have bad eyesight---I just don't want to get it. I know a number of people who say, "I had perfect eyesight until I started having to use a computer..."

My eyesight is important to me. The stress on the eyes is definitely not a good thing about computers or the internet. I should think that people in general would be concerned about this, but evidently not.

I know that sometimes, as in a navigation button, a web designer must control the size of the print exactly. I also can understand that a "picky" web designer might be a "control freak." However, according to what I have been told, good web design means a page that can be viewed well with a variety of screen sizes etc.

So why not have designs that look "perfect" when the browser text size is set to "medium"---and still look "acceptable" when the browser is set to "larger"? Is this so bad or so difficult? And if the person viewing wants to set to "largest," I think he will understand if things get a bit awry. But he should have that option.

Now it seems to me that on the one hand, web designers are implying, "We want total control over the look of our site"----while on the other hand, they also claim, "Well if the print is too small for you, you can set your computer to "large fonts..." It seems to me that this is saying two different things at once.

Perhaps I am "all mixed up" about something here. If so, I would like to know. And if nobody understands the "philosophy" I am trying to convey here, how about just a few straight questions:

1. What is the point of having a "text size" option in my browser, if it no longer works?

2. Why exactly are more sites being designed in such a way that the "text size" option does not work? (Not "how" but WHY please.)

3. If you are a web designer who designs sites this way: in your opinion, might we just as well eliminate the "text size" option in browsers....?

Please help me anyone, to understand what is the prevailing view here? Am I confused about something? Or am I right but this just does not concern anyone except me?

Thank you.

Member #
    Most web designers still use intricate layers of sub-nested tables inside other tables burried under more tables. If you change the font-setting in IE it will often screw up the layout so as a result alot of people specify in pixels. As IE is still the majority browser this is can be a problem.

Newer browsers have a nicer option that allows you to magnify the page size/text considerably, Opera, Mozzila etc. They can still casue errors in layouts, but this option works regardless of whether the designer has used a relative unit size.

Personaly I try to leave this option intact by using [em's] and CSS overflow options, but to the point where it creates horizontal scrollers on 25px high navigation bars I clip off excess or simply use pixels.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    WDF v4 will be fully accessible and allow scaling to sizes beyond Largest.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I can set the font size on this page to anything I want: small to large, using Mozilla. In IE, only the title of this thread changes size, but in Mozilla the text in every post changes size too.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is something that I have mentioned several times before when reviewing sites but nobody seems to take much notice.

The excuse of maintaining the integrity of a design is pretty poor. If the site is designed correctly then it should compensate for people who want a larger font size. Too many people believe that appearance is the be all and end of designing a site and pay little or no heed to useability. More fool them IMO - if people can't read the text comfortably then they will leave and go to a more considerate site.

Member #
    :classic: Thank you fellas!

Maybe I am not totally strange after all :alien: :alien: :alien:

...sounds like you actually agree with me!

By the way....if you set your WDF messages between SIZE=2..../SIZE... then they will look the same as all others---but they will respond then to the IE browser text size...

(Or if like my message here, you set your words between SIZE=3....then it is nice and readable already, no need for enlargement.)

Remove Ads