Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Help! I'm running XP Pro and I can't run ANY .exe file other than IE. I try to run fireworks, I get this:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I try to run Dreamweaver and I get the same error. What is going on? I went to folder options in control panel and set .EXE to Application but it still won't work. If I set EXEs to run Fireworks, then every .exe will run Fireworks! How can I solve this?????

I don't know if these are the right forums to post on, but I can't register on any others because I have to get my emails to confirm which I can't do do! I really hope you understand me as I really need this to be solved.

Thanks for any help you may give me, will7.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I don't have exe's being controlled in the folder options control panel. That may be your problem. It might work to remove the exe extension from that group. Then, the default may take over. Be sure to reboot after doing this.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    EXEs should not be in there, as they are self executable files. Sounds like OS has issues.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    hehe. obviously you need a programmer to sort that out. the sympthoms are obivous, you've (or some malware??) screwed around with your Registry settings involving the ".exe" extension. well, I've done that too, a couple of times.

The problem is quite simple to fix using the registry editor(regedit.exe), but I exported the required settings that should restore the ".exe" extension. No real magic here, you just need to:

1. change the attached file's extension to ".reg" (WDF doesnt allow the .reg extension)
    2. doubleclick the file

Member #
    btw, renamed it to ".fla" so that the extension wont get "hidden by default" as the file explorer often does with known extensions.

if it doesn't work i can give the manual procedure to fix the problem.

Remove Ads