Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: AlienWare

Member #
    I was wondering if anyone owns an Alienware Computer. If so, I was curious to how good of gaming pcs they were. Thanks!
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have one at work and it is really fast. However, they are also unstable compared to my home-built system, make the room very hot, and are definitely not worth the $1000 premium. I spec'ed out the components from Newegg that are in Alienware systems--the EXACT same except for the case--and the price was $1500 versus $2500 for the same configuration from Alienware.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well alienware does not simply slap them in a fancy case. They do optomize them with custom drivers, and configureations they get from the manufactuers to make them work more effeciently, and that is where the higher price comes in. Although I still dont think its worth the extra coinage. However, I would like to get one of their laptops, as I am currently in the market for a high performace laptop that I wont have to replace for at least 4-5 years..

As far as pc gaming, that is pretty much what they are made for..
    My cousin bought one when they first came out with the antec(aka dragon) case a few years ago, and it still works great for most games, although he has upgraded the video card,ram,processor, and added a raid setup..

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    From personal experience, this system I'm using now is nothing that I couldn't have built. They didn't seem to optimize anything except for installing good drivers--something I could have done. They didn't do much for cooling because the CPU is at 37C right now just idle, and I have the AlienIce cooling as well for the video card.

They're not bad computers, just not worth the price if you know how to build one.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads