Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am just about to finish a one week work experience placement working with my local council in their IT department. I have been specifically working with the Technical support side, working with local libraries and community centres in Birmingham.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to get into this as a career, as I have really enjoyed this last week.

I am going to go into 6th form before I go to university, but was wondering if anyone else had any experiences or ideas about how to get started in this field as a career.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    A good route in is to work for a computer shop in their technical support department. It's easier to start with hands on fixing (ie. the customer leaves the PC in the shop) first. After a while you'll build up the experience and knowledge required to apply for a job in a remote support environment where you will be dealing with more varied and possibly more complex problems. From there are plenty of oppurtunities to move into specific fields such as Network Admin or hardware.

Personally I would say that building up comprehensive knowledge of both the computers and how people use them is key to succeeding in this career path. Working in a small shop is ideal to do that and will arm you with the answers you need to pass an interview with a larger company.

Member #
    Yeah. I know nothing about this so this is more of a guess but hey.

I'd imagine, that the more experience you get, the better you will be. So go and try to get a job in a computer shop working with comps. There's no better experience than hands-on experience.

After that, try moving to bigger computer companies and with more people. Learn things from these people - they've probably been in the business much longer than you.

Just keep 'working you way up the ladder' and learn more and more about computers and how people want to use them. Learn from the small companies, then use this knowledge when you move to bigger things.

This is basically just elaborating on mossoi. Of course, I could be completely wrong here, but I'd imagine that's the type of process...
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Another avenue that you can try is working in a call center doing tech support for some isp, third party warranty provider, hardware manufacturer, etc.

PrairieHost, You're at the right place now!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Working in a call center SUCKS!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Some people enjoy helping people out, dont you prefer real people instead of having to try to have to talk to a recording?, I just called linkysis becaus emy wireless router wasnt working, i found out it was because of my wireless phone was interfering. Without the help i wouldnt have internet, i think its a noble profession, id go for the local shop, you could even call up a companies employment department and ask how to go about applying for a the job

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I work in a call center. While it's great that some people appreciate the help they're getting, most don't. It's a mostly thankless job. To be frank (and don't call me shirley), it sucks monkey butt. Yes, in the right one, you can learn a lot, but it isn't for everyone.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think the whole computerized phone system stuff has really taken the "helping" out of phone service. I just had my recent bout with SBC to get my DSL up (which should have been done anyway).

So, I call SBC... explain my situation, she transfers me to DSL, I explain my situation, she transfers me to DSL Tech Support. I explain my situation, the lady offers a solution, which takes some time so I thank her and hang up. I find out later, that it wasn't a solution.

So can I call DSL Tech support directly? Hell no, you must be transfered from DSL to do this, and of course, I don't have their number. So I call SBC, I ask them to transfer me to DSL, and she asks why, so I have to explain my situation. She transfers me to DSL General, in which I have to repeat the same scenario to get back to DSL tech support.

Now I'm on the phone with some guy that can't speak english for the life of him. I have to act like and idiot (go through rediculous steps) in order for him to tell me that it is in fact, not DSL's fault, but SBC's billing department's fault.

So, I'm transfered to SBC billing, in which I find out that they can't help me, but they must transfer me to DSL Billing. Now I'm explaining my situation, and the lady asks me what state I live in. It turns out she can't deal with people that don't live in Arkansas, Missouri and Louisiana (WTF). At this point, my blood is close to boiling as I'm being transfered AGAIN to ANOTHER department... and guess what? I let loose. I start screaming at the people because the fiinal person I was transfered to tells me I have to wait another 3 days because it's not company policy to activate DSL early (the line was ready, they just needed to re-activate my PPoE account). So as I'm screaming at her... she tells me that she can't help me with any problems I have with my service, and asks me if she can transfer me to DSL customer service...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Yea, what happened to you call someone and they fix your problem, i had to site through five minutes of a guy saying if i have a virus infection he cant help me, i was like WTF, i need help with my BRAND NEW MONITOR, not a F***ing VIRUS, and then he says, 'so how may i help you mam'....

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Brak, you're gonna LOVE this one... the outsourcer that I work for... also does SBC DSL tech support... LMAO!!!!!
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads