Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fraud Question

Member #
    Hello.

I recently fell victim to an eBay scam involving $1100 and a Dell Inspiron XPS notebook.

In a nutshell, I was blind enough to get suckered into the "buy cheaper before auction end" and wired $1100 to someone.

No laptop.

Long story short, I am wondering if anyone on here has had an experience like this, and exactly what they did? I have contacted the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp) and they are tied to the FBI. eBay has also been contacted, although there is little they can do since it was a wire and it was outside of their system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Russ

Member #
    Well, first off you should really learn to pay attention to the warnings eBay put on their website.

Anyway, how did you pay? If it was credit card or PayPal you can cancel the payment.

Member #
    The thing is I *had* read the ebay warnings. I've used eBay quite a bit before, and had read all of the warnings/documentation so long ago that it wasn't really fresh in my mind.

I just got caught up in what seemed to be like a hell of a deal.

Member #

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I also had an issue with two different sellers involving some jaz carteriges I purchased a little over three years ago. I placed a bid on two seperate auctions. One was for a pack of three 1gb jaz carteriges and the other for two. They were totally different sellers but neither sent me anything. I contacted ebay about it and they said they would look into it. Somehow one convinced ebay the cartriges had in fact been sent and I was just trying to scam THEM by trying to get a refund for product received. And the other dissappeared off the face of the earth I guess. At the time I didnt know of any other recourse so I dropped the issue, and ebay washed its hands of the ordeal. I lost about 200 bucks from that. Although that is not alot of money it still irks me like nothing else!

Member #
    Ouch. 200 bucks is a fair amount of money to get cheated out of, regardless of what it is.

My situation is really disheartening to me, as yours was to you... $1100 is alot to lose, especially when you're 19 and just paid for your first place.

Member #
    Wow fallout.

That situation is like a much larger version of what happened to me. For almost the same amount too.

Thanks man.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would contact whoever you used to wire the money, see if they can do anything about it... NEVER pay for anything online with anything but a credit card. Worst case scenario: credit card company eats it when you report fraud.

Unfortuantely this might have been an $1100 learning lesson

Sucks man.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If the wire was sent inside the US, the FBI can probably help you.

Member #
    Sending money via Western Union or other wire service is a big sign that this auction could be a fraud. I absolutely REFUSE to engage in a transaction that involves wiring money. Paypal offers more protections than wire services, and that isn't saying much. I'm guessing that the money was wired overseas, in which case you have few, if any options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads