Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Games?

Member #
    Is anyone else here looking forward to Doom 3? I'm still pretty new to these forums and haven't had a chance to figure out who plays what, if anyone plays anything at all.

This coming season is going to be nice for gamers - Doom 3, Half Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2, GTA: San Andreas, etc..

Also, if anyone is going to be playing HL2 or D3, what kind of system are you running? I'm on an Athlon XP 2200+ with a 128 meg GeForce 4 Ti4600 and 1 gig of ram.

Hopefully that is enough to enjoy a few of these games without sacrificing graphics quality.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Already have Doom 3 on pre-order, along with the new DOA combo game, the newest Mortal Kombat game, and something else.

Your system will be fine for Doom 3. Recently read a preview that stated that they ran a 1.8 P4 an played it and it was fine.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Yeah, http://www.hardocp.com has some hard benchmark numbers.

There's a big difference between "fine" and enjoyable though.

Member #
    I watched a video clip on Doom3 the other day, looks nice enough, I will probably get it when it hits the shelves... I'll be trying not to get pulled into the pre-release hype, as the last game I bought was pure 100% dog-doo.

(specs)

Athlon XP2500+
    GeForce FX5200 128MB
    1gig ram.

Member #
    Yeah, I can understand that.

You and I have roughly the same system.. my vid card is a bit faster while your CPU is a bit faster.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    id has never made a bad game. They do something, everyone else follows. Now Doom 3 vs. Half Life 2 will be an interesting battle
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I'm looking forward to it, but my Geforce 3 Ti500 is not, so I won't be buying it (at least for my home system; my work is an Alienware with a 9800 XT).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    filburt, if you have roughly a 2 ghz pentium and a geforce 3, you will be able to play doom.

read http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

wired, you are quite right except on one front: q3 wasn't too great. i played q2 deathmatch and made it to a few of the final pgl qualifying rounds because the game was balanced well. i had decent combat skills, but nothing too amazing except a good railgun aim. the reason i was any good at dm was due to the fact if you controlled the map well, you had a chance at winning as well.

in q3, map control was nothing because of the over-powered machinegun you spawned with. i adapted and did well, playing in a few cpl-sponsored tournaments but i never felt as fond of q3 as i did q2 due to the fact it wasn't properly balanced.

to be honest, i thought q3 felt very incomplete in terms of balance and deathmatch structure. not to mention that unreal tournament's single player blew away the q3 single player.

but that's just my opinion

d3 vs hl2 will be an amazing battle, considering half-life is quite probably the best first person shooter single player experience out there. with doom3 being geared mostly at single player, i can imagine it will give valve a good fight with what they have to offer.

...what are your thoughts on quake 4?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    True, it was definitely not balanced. Gimme a rocket launcher, and EVERYONE dies. Gotta love splash damage. So what if I died a couple of times by my own hand... Man, I need a balanced deathmatch game. UT2K4's ok, but a chore. Q1 and 2 were fun. CS was fun, but gets old after 5 years. Hopefully CS:Source will liven it up a bit.

They're going to do RTCW 2 (possibly outside developer) and then Quake 4. IIRC, they're currently investigating new technology, well at least Carmack is.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    id is overseeing RTCW2 with a third-party developer just like with RTCW. I believe the same people, Gray Matter Studios, are developing it. http://www.gmistudios.com/

For some reason, I have a feeling the D3 deathmatch will be very balanced. You will be able to shoot out lights in a room and then hide in the corner... what other game on the market now offers this?

Not a single one..

Quake 4 is being developed by Raven Software, the same lovely folks that brought us Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II and Hexen II. They also made Heretic II, but that's a different story..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads