Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iKobo update

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...it is a far cry from PrayPal, and that's really saying something.

Thanks to brother filburt for allowing me to post the hyperlink to the article I've created on the subject (I'd normally post this directly to a thread, but there's a lot of info in this).

http://www.adamwebdesign.ca/articles...l_article.html

Anyway, these are my findings.

Let me know what you guys think...and if you can think of any places that would take this article. Most sites have a 1500-word article limit and this is 4524 (I really can't shut up, can I? )
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That was pretty informative. I have seen that company mentioned around a few places though i was pretty skeptical of them.
    I like how you made up the fake bank system to test their honesty.. that kind of stuff is fun to do with car dealerships " sooo does this have that new ultraquad grip steering system i have read so many great things about?"
    LooseCannon Design
    Friendly, affordable webdesign.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Hehe, that also works in reverse. Used to do PC sales, and when a cust came up acting all "I know everything about PCs, I rule" I'd go advanced PC on their butt, shut them up in a second flat "Giga-Who? Giga-What? I didn't think so..."

Bonus points: Who remembers what show / TV-Movie (it was 4 tv movies, then turned into a series) that had the Giga-Shadow?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Lexx..

Never head of the show but my search finger is happy to oblige ya

Interisting article.. Sounds like you had it out for that company from the beginning.. I dont know if I like the idea of having to recieve a phyical card instead of them just putting it directly into my account.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Thanks, glyakk and loosecannon for the comments.

Actually, my initial hunch was that it was a scam, so I can understand why you'd feel that I "had it out" for the company. But that's why I conducted the experiment; it was the only way to determine conclusively if it was a legit outfit or to be ranked along the lines of the Nigerian email scam. I figure for $10 US, it's worth it to find out and be able to warn others.

The thing was, I think the company's slightly more straight up than PrayPal, but light years behind in terms of technology and organization. And I'm still very much bothered by this "send documentation in to raise your limits", even though I got mine raised without sending them a thing.

I wasn't too crazy about the i-Kard concept either, since not all the funds can be withdrawn. I suppose you could use the card up by purchasing things (my guy hasn't tried that yet) but that's just a pain.

loosecannon: nice catch, man. I thought that was a pretty nice touch myself. I love taking a kernel of truth (Base24) and making a fabrication out of it to test people.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Yep. The movies were on Showtime under the title "Tales From a Parallel Universe." Lexx was an awesome show, kinda kinky

Keep up the iKobo investigation, sounds interesting.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm pretty well done with it, Wired. The only two things I could possibly do are test the developer API, which I won't do until I see an improvement from the company (which is the other thing...watch to see improvement.)

And on an off-topic note, transio mentioned in an earlier thread about how everyone should link to WDF to try and get more members in here. Those of you who are observant will realize that WDF pages were used twice in the article.

For those of you who don't want to link directly to WDF (or even for the ones who do), including the hyperlink to that article in any discussion forum or wherever appropriate (in a non-spammy way of course) will feed more traffic to WDF and thus help the community grow.

(And yes, it does help me too. I won't deny it. But then again, I spent the two weeks researching this stuff so I figure I'm entitled. :P )

Maybe we can all come up with some other similar ways to plug WDF without really plugging WDF.

Member #
    Great review Game, I'm sure a lot of forum members (members of WDF and other forums) would find this interesting. Out of curiosity, how popular has that article been?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So far, not especially so, because it's still early. Everyone who's read it has generally said the same thing you have though (thanks muchly by the way for that!)

So I'd say well-received but not popular...yet.

My only problem is getting it published in e-zines and other places because of the length, but I knew that in advance.

Member #
    I suppose you could always shorten the article a little, or get it released in parts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads