Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom 3

Member #
    After reading nice reviews and seeing some impressive screen shots, I purchased 'DOOM 3'.

I first tried to install it on my laptop (3.02 GHz CPU, but lousy G-card). The installation (3 CD's) went swiftly, but when I tried to run the game, it grinded to a halt (after some aggravating video chopping) beeing 10 seconds in to the intro.

I proceeded to install it one of my stationaries, which has an ATI 8500 card (minimum game specification requirement), and it took forever to install. Still waiting for it to finish, but have serious doubts regarding my systems handling capabilities.

Do I have to build a whole new PC just to run this game? Anybody have any experience with it, tech info?
    (Is it good enough to defend the investment of a new PC?)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    HL2 is good enough to make a new system, Doom 3 isn't. Perhaps after the mod community gets their hands on it.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    You'll probably need a new PC yes. RAM and Video card are the most important aspects.

As for HL2 being amazing, I wouldn't hold your breath. The HL team couldn't create a piece of art even 1/4 as gripping as Doom 3. I'm sure HL2 will be amazingly popular, but Doom 3 is a lot more of an achievement in my opinion.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have a 2.6 GHz P4, 1 GB of RAM, a 7200 RPM/8 MB cache HDD, and a Geforce 3 Ti500. The only thing slowing me down significantly is the Geforce 3.

You need 1 GB of RAM for gaming today, no matter what anybody else says. I needed to upgrade from 512 MB to 1 GB because of even UT2k4 sluggishness when a level loads and when the game exits.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    You need 1 GB of RAM for gaming today, no matter what anybody else says. I needed to upgrade from 512 MB to 1 GB because of even UT2k4 sluggishness when a level loads and when the game exits.
    I can attest to that as I have 512 mb of RAM and utk4 can be quite sluggish and often takes long to load on my pc.

As for the installation and running of the game I would look more into upgrading the video on your laptop (if at all possible) before considering building a new PC
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    1 GB+ mem definitely. Graphically Doom 3 may end up being better, but I feel that HL 2 is much more innovative. Doom 3 went way too much for the "oh ****!" factor in gaming than SP goodness. I love the PDA idea in it, but so far it's not blowing my mind. Take HL2 with the huge levels and interaction (not that linear) as well as the mod factor (throw in a vocal wav into a NPC, and it lip syncs perfectly right out of the box) and I'm leaning towards HL2. They both did a great job in modeling humans. Don't get me wrong, D3 will have an awesome mod following as well, I just think that HL2 is going to come out with better tools for storytellers.

Of course, HL2 isn't out yet, so I may be way off base. Hope not though
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    My computers have never gotten on with games that well which means I have never really had the chance to play any decent ones. Although I bought a new cheap computer to take the strain off this one because it has just hundreds of programs and none are too forgiving. My new one gobbles up UT 2003 but it still needs a few upgrades before I think about getting 2004. I'm getting a 1gb RAM and don't have a clue about graphics cards.

Member #
    HL2 will wipe the floor with Doom 3. I'm going out to buy Doom 3 very soon to try it, but from what I've heard, it sounds crap.

I'm gonna get a no-cd crack for it and take it back lol. That way it's mine for free
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Thanks for all advice.

I got the game to run on the before mentioned stationary, but it's struggling hard.

I'm probably gonna go for a new PC. Came across an incredible offer in our local grocery store (?!) (part of a bigger chain of stores):

Price: $ 1100,-

Specs:
    • AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+ CPU
    • ATI Radeon 9800 XXL Graphics card (can easily be overclocked 25% too)
    • 200 GB HDD
    • 512 MB DDR RAM (will upgrade to 1 Gig)
    • DVD-R-RW/+R+RW Burner
    • Built in WLAN
    • Memory card readers
    • TV card
    • Creative Audigy sound card
    • and so on and so forth

S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will7
    HL2 will wipe the floor with Doom 3. I'm going out to buy Doom 3 very soon to try it, but from what I've heard, it sounds crap.

I'm gonna get a no-cd crack for it and take it back lol. That way it's mine for free
    Sigh...
    1. That is theft, plain and simple. Buy it and keep it.
    2. You can't return opened software.

I do use a no-CD crack but that is only because I believe in fair use. I own the game and should be able to do whatever I want to do with it within my personal use.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads