Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a laptop for my web design stuff (to compliment my PC desktop).... Anyone want to recommend one for me, or at least, tell me what's the minimum requirements i should look for (like 17 inch monitor?).

I am looking for the cheapest price possible (max. 600-800?)and not Mac-based....

Thanks for any replies back!
    www.minimal8.co.uk - minimalist in style

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The good news is there are virtually no minimun requirements if all you want to do is create websites since all the software you need is virtually built into windows already.. I would say any laptop made withen the last few years would be fine.. The only problems you might run into are programs like photoshop and dreamweaver(if you use them). In that case it turns into more a subjective discussion.

Personally, I would normally prefer a system with at least 1.8-2ghz processor, 512mb ram preferaiablly 1gb at 20gb+ hard drive.. Any decent screen will do, again this is subjective but the largest you can afford and feel comfortable with will do. Generally any laptop made in the last few years will probably come stock with these requirements, however you might need to add a stick or two of ram. Basicly what I am saying is there is no real minimun when it comes to designing websites, any modern laptop will be adiquite so rely more on what you can afford.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I have a wide screen, and it certainly helps. You can run the code/design screens at a standard rez, and then you have a strip of area left over that the control stuff in DW fits very well. No more scrolling!

Also, I run City of Heroes in Windowed mode, and on the right is a nice strip of space where Trillian Pro sits

Got 1 GB of memory, DW runs well on it, chugged on 256.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    What about Acer laptops?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies back to me. I was wondering about the Acer laptop range, as they look pretty nice (from the image!) and seem to be decent price.

Something like the ACER Aspire 1355LC Athlon 2600+ 256MB 30GB DVD/CDRW 15TFT XPHome? what do you guys think? More details of it at http://www.technoworld.com/productdi...ce=pricerunner

Is paying for an extra 24 pounds or so to XP Pro worth it as well?

Apologies for your time and effort! Cheers...

min8
    www.minimal8.co.uk - minimalist in style

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Acer is not exactly known for quality, they are not bad, but they are not exactly a dell.. I would pick up a warrenty JIC. Other than that it should work great for your needs, I would just purchase another 256mb(or higher) stick of ram. I honestly have never used home edition so I cannot give you an accurate comparison. But IIRC XP Home does not give you as much control over your OS as Pro does.. But I am sure others can give better information.

Member #
    I have not time to write too much about this, but I can tell you that HP/Compaq and Dell laptops are the best in value/price. Toshiba is also nice but a bit more expensive, because HP/Compaq and Dell always have nice rebates and other things.
    Google a bit about rebates in laptops till you find something nice

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    get more memory. You won't notice the diff in the OS.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Home is a PIECE OF !@*$%

I'm serious.. it's the worst MS OSes since ME. Memory is key... also take good note of the video memory. If your'e doing web design, I HIGHLY reccomend getting one with separate memory (i.e. not shared with system main memory). This makes another gigantic step forward in speed. Actual processor rating is of almost no use.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I don't think there are any good laptop manufacturers anymore.

I once had an Apple iBook that died and only the threat of a class-auction lawsuit from many people forced Apple to recognize the problem and offer out-of-warantee rapairs. I ended up selling it on eBay, putting the sale price directly towards the purchase price of a new system.

Right now I have a Fujitsu B2620 that is underpowered (850 MHz P3M/256 MB of RAM that can't be upgraded further according to the specifications) and the extended batter is only rated for 4.5 hours, and I only get 3.5, and the Wifi reception is the worst of any device I've used--but it was an $1100 ultraportable so I had to make comprimises.

I still think Apple makes the best portables. The ease-of-use for Wifi is excellent in OS X where it could not possibly suck any more in Windows XP. They are easy to upgrade and contain excellent LCDs, and of course they look good. I particurally like how their rated battery life is 5 hours, and I actually got 4.5 hours out of it with full screen brightness and Wifi enabled. Great machines, except for the fact that they are effectively useless for web design in that you should be writing your code for PC testing primarily, they are wonderful machines.

Keep in mind that I prefer ultraportables where battery life and wireless use is emphasized, not a huge 17", 10 lb behemoth with no Wifi, a wastefully huge dot pitch, and an hour of battery life.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Heh... one of the guys at work has a 18" (widescreen) HP... I swear the thing's bigger than him.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads