Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Carputers

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    http://www.hybrid-mobile.com/hybrid.html

A good friend of mine is developing these carputer systems. They will have a 7-8" touch-screen monitor, SFF computer, and will control sound (XM radio built in, MP3 support, CD, etc), video (DVD, monitors, CCD cameras, recording, etc.), GPS, and much more! The entire thing runs on Windows XP Embedded, and is written in C# / .NET. They've already got the manufacturing facility in place, and have been testing the software for 4 months now. They are gonna be written up in the New York Times, and there's good speculation about the company. Looks like a cool system. I'm trying to get one for my VX!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Niiice He happen to recommend 1 SFF over another? I'm looking into getting one for my DVD burner and PVR 250 card.

1 snag though, IIRC, XM is discontinuing their PC HW, as people are recording the streams.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    They provide the hardware AND the software. I think it's a plug-n-play unit, like a 2-din slide-in system or something. Not sure exactly, though!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    http://www.hybrid-mobile.com/hybrid.html

A good friend of mine is developing these carputer systems. They will have a 7-8" touch-screen monitor, SFF computer, and will control sound (XM radio built in, MP3 support, CD, etc), video (DVD, monitors, CCD cameras, recording, etc.), GPS, and much more! The entire thing runs on Windows XP Embedded, and is written in C# / .NET. They've already got the manufacturing facility in place, and have been testing the software for 4 months now. They are gonna be written up in the New York Times, and there's good speculation about the company. Looks like a cool system. I'm trying to get one for my VX!
    Does the embedded Windows/C# solution require Flash as well?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    No, why?

EDIT: ah, flash site. Forgot you don't have flash. LOL

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The idea is solid. Unfortuantely the site's about as solid as a milkshake =/
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    What direction is your friend going to go with this? Just as a product manufacture, or will they get more involved in the installation part of the buisness?

I also personally have been comtimplating taking a career move in a similar direction, but rather then focus on the manufacture of products for this market. I am going more toward system design, installation, and intergration. What I see is a lack of insight on how to construct such a system from custom enclousures to proper periphals and system intergration(for instance OBD-II, alarm, audio, and/or gps)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Brak, yeah the site sucks. I offered to make them a new one in exchange for a beta system in my VehiCross.

glyakk, they're going in the direction of manufacturing "plug-n-play" hardware / software systems for your car. The installation would probably be handled by certified retailers & installers. Of course, they're still in Alpha testing of the systems, so it'll be a little while before you can buy their systems off the shelf.

Remove Ads