Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has downloaded and installed Thunderbird as their main mail client?

I'm thinking of getting it (surely it must be better than Outlook!) but i want to know what others think of it... Is it reliable? Easy to use? Does it look good? Anything really!

Thanks,

min8

PS anyone have firefox 1.0PR?
    www.minimal8.co.uk - minimalist in style

Member #
    I've never used Thunderbird, Outlook is fine now that SP2 has plugged all the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by min8
    PS anyone have firefox 1.0PR?
    Yeah, Firefox has worried me since about v0.8. There's little bugs here and there. The downloads window has XUL error messages (I think it's XUL) written down the bottom.
    The popup blocker seems to kick in whenever it wants, and you can't stop it from blocking popup windows. Its basically beta, they should have called it 0.9.1, i.e., version 1.0 features still in beta form.
    Nice new features though, queries windows to find out how many email messages you have, and the default theme has small buttons, so your Google toolbar+Web Developer+Navigation buttons don't take up too much room.
    I can't wait for Tabbrowser Extensions to be updated though.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    Just redownloaded Tabbrowser extensions from it's website after updating Firefox to 1.0 PR. It works fine, as does my GMail Notification and Web Developer .

Not come across any holes yet, though only installed it around 15 mins ago!

Edit: I also love the security features showing when you visit a secure site. neat work and informative.

With regards to Thunderbird, I would, but my Dad found Outlook Express hard to master. Couldn't throw something else at him!
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by min8
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here has downloaded and installed Thunderbird as their main mail client?

I'm thinking of getting it (surely it must be better than Outlook!) but i want to know what others think of it... Is it reliable? Easy to use? Does it look good? Anything really!
    I used it when I had to use Linux for a while. It was alright, but you couldn't easily define multiple SMTP servers (one SMTP server per account) which was inexcusable for my needs.

I use Outlook 2003 with every message, even rich text, converted to plain text. I also use the calendar in it a bit.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been using 0.7.3 ever since Outlook up and quit on me about two months agao (?). Outlook is unusable now, whenever I hit send/recieve it says "An error occurred" (in a dialog box) and if I go to try and see my e-mail account settings, it does the same thing.

Oh, and also it must have done nasty things to my POP3 mail servers when it did that because ever since then my school's POP3 account has blacklisted my IP. Fun.

Anyways, thunderbird ha been fine for me. The junk mail filtering is iffy at best, although it's non-existent in Outlook, so I suppose it's an improvement. I did have an issue when I tried installing an extension (it hosed both thunderbird & firebird). I think this may have been the extension-writer's fault, although I'm still pretty sketch about installing any extensions for thunderbird.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Your school blacklisted you? LMAO!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads