Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    undefinedundefinedundefined

I'm currently running Windows XP. I accidently started downloading Sunbelt Pest Patrol before uninstalling Spybot Search & Destroy v. 1.3. Spybot most definitely made changes to my system. So, I uninstalled Pest Patrol, then uninstalled Spybot, and then re-installed Pest Patrol, but can't fully use it, and am not allowed access to all sorts of stuff, like deleting cookies, updates, etc. Here's a freaky example of the messages I was getting from Spybot as I was downloading Pest Patrol:
    Category: System Startup Global Entry
    Change: Value changed
    Entry: PestPatrol Contro Center
    Old data: C:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPControl.exe
    New data: C:\PROGRAM~1\PESTPA~1\PPControl.exe

I'm unable to complete remove any sign of Spybot from my system, as well the changes it seems to have made and am now stuck in hell. I've asked for help from numerous techs at Dell, and not a one has a clue what to do here...

I'd be so stoked if anybody in this forum has a clue what to do here and could help me out, cause this downright blows...

Muchos gracias

Member #
    You're going to have to be more specific with your issues, like for example what can you not do, what is happening that you don't want to, error messages that are popping up.

Do you have any SPs installed ?

That message you got while PestPatrol was installing:
    Category: System Startup Global Entry
    Change: Value changed
    Entry: PestPatrol Contro Center
    Old data: C:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPControl.exe
    New data: C:\PROGRAM~1\PESTPA~1\PPControl.exe
    is SS&D's system protecter Tea-Timer which actively monitors your system state. It was just telling you that the path to PPControl.exe was being changed. That doesn't mean that SS&D was working improperly. If Pest Patrol isn't working properly, I would uninstall it and reinstall it and go from there. Post back once that is done and we'll see if we can get SS&D completely removed.
    - Brian

Member #
    One last Spybot file in dire need of help to remove

Right on! Thanks for your generous reply, cause damn am I stuck! Previously, I completely uninstalled Pest Patrol for the time being. Last night I removed/uninstalled 7 out of 8 traces of Spybot that could be found. The last remaining file name is SDHelper.dll, file version 1.3.0.12, (Bad Download Blocker), located in C:\Program Files\Application Extension. When I try to delete it I get the following message:
    Cannot delete SDHelper: Access denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently not in use.

There are no other visible forms (at least that I can see) of Spybot on my computer. Dell's been zero help with any of this. I've just been checking out various sites online and going with the flow... Might you have any idea as to how to get this eyesore out of my system? As it's now causing me to become obscenely possessed, and needlessly obsessing over it's elimination. If you are aware of how to get rid of this thing, (which would be oh so very cool) please let me know, as it's driving me insane. Hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks,
    Kelli

p.s. have a laugh, but what are SPs? also, i'm brand new to Web Design Forum, and am pretty burnt from the past 2 weeks of hell with this system. being a bit slow at getting the hang of it things, sorry if this are displayed strangely

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by msteahupo
    ...and that the file is not currently not in use.
    That's probably the reason you're not allowed to delete it.

Make a restore point.
    Try starting Windows in safe mode and then delete the file. If that doesn't work, you can delete it from DOS command prompt.

You can alternatively do a search in your registry and see if you find any reference to the file there, and then delete the key. The file should be open for deletion after reboot.

SP=Service Pack (1 or 2)
    S. Rosland

Member #
    You may want to log on in safe mode as administrator and try what Rosland suggested. If that doesn't work, open Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options... > Settings... > View Objects... Right click and select properties on every object that shows up there. If you find one that is SDHelper.dll, close the properties window and right click > remove it.

If all else fails, download HijackThis! (Search google for it) open Hijack, click scan, then save log and post your log.
    - Brian

Remove Ads