Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have cable internet, and a LinkSYS BEFSR41 4 port router. I have 1 desktop and 1 laptop that are always wired into the network. I have 1 laptop that I bring home from work that has both ethernet (10/100) and wireless (802.11b) capabilities. I bought a LinkSYS WAP54G Wireless Access Point so that I would no longer be limited by wires. I hooked up the WAP to the last available port on my router and config'd it. My work laptop will connect to my network, but I cannot hit the internet from it. All other computers have internet. I can even view shares on other computers and Remote Desktop into my desktop. I still cannot hit the internet. I've tried with DHCP enabled and disabled on my router. My laptop is configured to pull a static IP. I've tried setting the default gateway as the WAP's IP and the Router's IP, but still to no avail... ARGH. It's frustrating.

EDIT: I've checked and both my router (8/03/04) and the WAP (4/08/04) have the latelst firmware upgrades....

Any ideas would be endlessly appreciated !
    - Brian

Member #
    Nevermind ! My dumb butt forgot I use a proxy for the internet at work and that's why I couldn't hit the internet.... ARGH!!!

Once I removed the proxy settings from IE, I hit the internet without a hitch!

Thanks anyway.
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Now that that's done, I'd like to add the random comment that Wifi sucks under Windows. Under OS X, it is completely seamless and transparent whereas in Windows you have huge windows needed and bubbles popping up out of the system tray.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It hasn't been too bad since I've gotten it set up correctly. The bubbles mainly popped up when I was setting things up.
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    In this screenshot, the left window is Windows' overly-complex wireless status window, the right is Toshiba's cool Wifi access point plotter (dots closer to the computer are stronger signals).

I'm in range of somewhere around 10 access points, some of them with a strong signal, and yet there are no networks in range.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I see your point and can also relate.... :-/
    - Brian

Remove Ads