Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: XP and SATA

Member #
    I've got most of my new computer up and running, except one major problem. It keeps trying to boot off the drive that was my old main hard drive, which doesn't even have the OS (in this case XP) on it. XP has been installed on my new SATA drive, but I can't get the BIOS to look there. When "hard drive" is selected, it just goes to the old main one. This is a brand new CPU, Motherboard, etc. so I'm dumbfounded on why it's doing this. The only way I can get XP to boot is with the installation CD in the CD-ROM, which you can imagine how annoying that is.

Any ideas on how to tell it exactly which hard drive to boot from??
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Member #
    Check the bios options to see if there is a setting to enable or set the system to boot from the SATA drive instead of the EIDE drive. Try booting without the EIDE drive installed and see if that works.
    - Brian

Member #
    that's what I'm going to try tonight..unattaching the IDE and trying every single SATA slot. the SATA is set up as the first drive in the BIOS, but it's skipping over that for whatever reason. From the posts I've read elsewhere, apparently this is a rather large problem with SATA and XP with about 1001 solutions that have worked for individual people.

after that gets fixed, then I have to find out why XP doesn't recognize one of my other hard drives that the BIOS sees.
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Check disk management for that 2nd issue.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Also, have you checked the jumpers on both drives. Make sure the SATA drive is set as Master or remove the jumpers from both drives and have them as cable select. Let us know what happens...
    - Brian

Member #
    SATA drives don't have jumpers to configure that. You do that in the BIOS.
    At least on my motherboard (with SATA controller built-in) you select from the bios if you want to boot from a IDE or SATA hd, and of course floppy/cdrom/network/...

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If you still can't get it to work, see if you have any BIOS updates. IIRC some Tyan motherboards required it to boot to SATA.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Nope, your problem is not BIOS. I happen to be the unlucky person with the inofficial responsibility for fixing stuff like this on our college campus, and I had this problem just last week.

The problem is that the Windows XP installer does NOT support SATA by default. Ever noticed that message at the beginning of the installation process which says "Press F6 to load a custom device driver" (or something like that)? Me neither, until after tinkling around with all my system rescue CD's I figured that the problem was in the installer software. You need to locate the drivers (did the SATA drive come with a drivers disk??) and load them to get the WinXP installer to recognize your fancy disks ..

Happy installing, keep me updated on your progress

Remove Ads