Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Since installing SP2, I've noticed none of the images within html e-mails such as newsletters/e-mags display, (just empty placeholders.) Anyone know what the likely cause is?

I'm thinking it must be obscured under some security options etc, but if someone could pinpoint what it is rather than me looking blindly I'd be very greatfull. (I know this makes me sound some what lazy, but if someone else has already come across this here's an oppertunity to put your knowledge to good use.)

Trico.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    That is intended, and I recommend to my last breath that you never allow images in e-mails, not even from sources you trust. Images are used by spammers to confirm your e-mail address without your knowledge, and historically have even been used with virii (JPEG exploit, recently, albeit fixed in SP2).

I strongly recommend you disable every HTML option you can find. In Outlook, every single piece of mail I receive is converted to plain text with all HTML and images stripped.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    For Real?

That sounds like a pretty harsh stance; however I do regard your opinion strongly. In my mind to do that would near turn me away from receving email aside from basic plain text based messages. I couldn't emphasize how much prefer the formatting that html emails offer... plain text content is just a monotonous lump of text that will rarely ever get read.

If I were to define 'trusted' sources ie. Amazon, (local ISP), Sitepoint, a client etc. You would still stay with your recommendation?

Lastly is this just a Microsoft thing or are there more prefereable email clients available? (free would be nice)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The nature of HTML messages makes them insecure on every client. Outlook and Outlook Express are more vulnerable because they use IE as their rendering engine and IE supports ActiveX controls.

I would not trust anybody as a good security practice.

You can try Mozilla Thunderbird which is free.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    By default in OE with XP SP 2 when reading an HTML email between the email body and subject it should say something like "Some pictures have been blocked to prevent the sender from identifying your computer." You chould be able to click on that and select to see the pictures.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads